Do you still have to worm if you use DE?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SuperChiks, Jul 14, 2011.

1. SuperChiks

SuperChiks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    North Carolina
    Just checking to see if you still need to worm your chickens if you put DE in their food, coop and runs.

2. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I don't worm my chickens and I use DE in the hen house. I don't see the need ever.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I don't worm my chickens and I use DE in the hen house. I don't see the need ever.

If their feet touch the ground, they'll get worms eventually.

4. pjknust

pjknust Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    My hens are 3 yrs old and Ive never used anything except DE once in a while, and a few times a year I will add Mollys Herbal wormer to their food. Ive never vaccinated for anything. I cant imagine giving a chicken a shot!

pam in TX

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    You might not ever have to worm your birds.

If you DO have to , DE won't get the job done.

The fact that some use DE and don't get worms doesn't prove it works, and no scientific studies have shown it to be effective on internal parasites

6. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    I just lost one of my favorite hens to worms and it is the worst possible way I could imagine to die. Slow and starved. By the time you see her go down hill it's too late. THATS the point in worming your flock. All you have to do is mix the stuff in their water for one day, and then toss the eggs for a week and a half, a mild inconvenience to save your birds from dying a very very miserable death.

But DE will not de-worm. Gotta get the bottle of wazine. Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  7. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:Not all poultry vaccinations are shots, many can be applied via food, water, spraying, or by eye drops.

As far as the OP's post, DE is ineffective against worms. The producers in our organic cooperative have a total of 450,000 hens across about 80 egg producers. We did a trial where we required every producer to add DE into the layer rations at a specific level. There was no evidence that it did anything to inhibit worms and we dropped the requirement some time ago.

8. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
  9. SuperChiks

SuperChiks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    North Carolina
    HMMM ...wow! I have read so many different things but experience is best. They haven't started laying yet can I worm them now?

I've read that DE and Organice apple cider vinegar help to inhibit the worms. I just want what is best for them.

10. CC1892

CC1892 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    East Coast
    threehorses posted comprehensive information on worming chickens.
    a great read, but lengthy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by