Do you take the humidity reading above the eggs or at the eggs level?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by floridachickhatcher, Jun 26, 2011.

1. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    im going into lockdown tomorrow and im going to lower my humidity to 70% instead of 70-80% cause i lost 5 due to drowing after they made a zip line and 5 more i had to bust out and they are going to die they are really weak so i think they will die today i had 16 hatch out healthy though and i have a hygrometer that takes the humidity like the thermometer does how you just set it on top of the eggs or on the wire of the bator and i have been wondering should i take the reading on the top of the eggs or at the bottom on the wire? this is my 5th hatch and im going to see how this one works and then im going to give the dry incubation a whirl

2. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

I put mine above the eggs in my stryofoam one and on the middle rack in my big incubator.

But then again, I never get my humidity up to 70% for lockdown......

3. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I could be wrong.. but humidity SHOULD be consistent in a closed incubator no matter where the probe is (well.. so long as it's not sitting IN the water). temperature is different.. it can vary depending on where the probe happens to be.
    I know to calibrate a hygrometer you just put it in a sealed plastic bag with the salt/water cup since the humidity in the bag will be the same no matter where in the bag the probe happens to be sitting.

For the record .. I keep mine sitting on top of the eggs just because it also measures the temp.. and that's where I like the temperature probe to be

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I put this thermometer/hygrometer next to one I calibrated and it is perfect.
    [​IMG]

Quote:This is how I solved the humidity problem during lock down. I use my LG as a hatcher and have a cabinet incubator.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  5. floridachickhatcher

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    well its a indoor/outdoor hydrometer/thermometer and bought 4 of them 3 for the bators and one for bedroom and im waiting to see if it will read 75% tonight at 9pm that will have been the 12 hour mark i think im going to start testing them once a month to see if they are calibrated so i dont get false readings its a coil ring in the back with a screw if it doesnt read 75% how do you ajust it?

6. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I'm not sure how to adjust that kind..
    If in doubt you could always do the math...
    so lets say it reads 71% during the test
    75 / 71 = 1.056 (i would round it up to 1.06).. which tells you how much you need to adjust your readings..
    so when you use the hygrometer.. lets say it reads 40% in the incubator.. 40 X 1.06 = 42.4% which would be the actual humidity in the bator

hope this helps

7. floridachickhatcher

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    well they should work fine i figure if i have issues i can just go buy more only $2.99

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by