Do you think a LF Braham can sucessfully breed with a Bantam Cochin.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RAREROO, Nov 14, 2009.

1. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Do you think a LF Braham can breed with a Bantam Cochin with much success, since Brahmas are so large and cochins bantams are small are small.? either the Cochin being the roo or vise versa?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Yes either way they will make it happen.

3. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Wow really? You don't think a LF Brahma roo would crush or at least injure a bantam hen?

4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I've seen Buckeye with Bantam Cochin

Probably wasnt as fun for her as him, but both lived to tell about it. [​IMG]

5. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Yeah, I'll bet. I don't think there would be a problem with a regular LF Breed like the Buckeye, but I have heard that Brahmas are consideralbly larger and heavier than most other LF breeds. It may work out OK.

6. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    heh, i have the opposite happening. bantam cochin cockerel going for my LF brahmas!

but i can see it the other way around too.

wouldn't the chicks from this outcome have a problem with getting too big in the shell while developing?

7. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Chickie'sMoma :

heh, i have the opposite happening. bantam cochin cockerel going for my LF brahmas!

but i can see it the other way around too.

wouldn't the chicks from this outcome have a problem with getting too big in the shell while developing?

Yeah that may be a problem too, but I have hatched chicks from an LF roo on a Bantam hen before.

The Bantam roo on the Brahma hen would be better, but I wonder if the bantam roo would be able to catch and "connect" with such a big hen.

I had a little Serama roo try his luck with an EE hen one time and he practically just rode her across the yard, she took off running with him still on her back. It was so funny !!!!!​

8. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I had chicks from that cross up above that hatched out just fine. 6 of 8 eggs that were set hatched. The 2 eggs that did not hatch were from the 18th and 19th of that month...and ALL eggs I set from all the different chickens that were laid on the 18th and 19th did not hatch, so not sure if they maybe got too hot or cold or shaken or something?

Anyways, all chicks that hatched did fine as far as size. They are BIG CHICKS. They are probably getting close in height at least, to the red hen pictured. At 8 weeks old.

My Jersey Giant Roo breeds my itty bitty buttercups (they are a "large fowl" breed but very very small...just about bantam sized) and it sure looks like it should not work, but it seems to. For an idea of their size, a different roo had hopped on and was doing his thing......when the Jersey Giant roo saw this he came running and knocked the other rooster off, while running right over the top of the buttercup. As in, with her "squatting" he can run right "over" her without touching her. Literally, ran over her like she was just a little hurdle. It was kind of hilarious.

I'm not sure if the eggs are fertile or not, as I have not bothered to check any......but he does breed her regularly. He often stands on the ground instead of on top of her, as he is just way too big to fit up there. She does not appear injured, although I do keep watch to make sure everything is okay with the 'little' girls. My roo is gentle and polite, and if he clucks and the girls don't squat for him, he will not chase them down and just lets them go. My more "agressive" large roosters are not allowed to be near the small girls as they will chase them down and tackle them to breed and I am afraid they will hurt them after all.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  9. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Why ????, would you want to do this???.

10. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Well, I'm thinking I may want to do a project Brahma variety, and I want to pull a color from bantam cochins and put it in the brahmas, I wouln't need to cross with the bantam very many times before I had enough to get started.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by