Do you think a silkie roo and a polish bantam roo could get along?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by foxypoproxy, Oct 24, 2011.

1. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    I already have a bantam polish who is very docile and nice.
    We can hold him and everything.

I recently found out that one of my blue silkies is a roo (it was crowing in the morning).
    Hes very gentle and gets picked on alittle by his sister. He barley acts like a roo, but he does have the streamer feathers and a tiny dark comb.
    So i definitely know hes a roo.

I really like the both of them and i hope they would get along.
    They are both docile breeds so its not so far fetched to think they could live together?
    I don't have alot of hens, i can have 9 hens max, because of the space of the coop.

I was thinking of introducing the two to each other in neutral territory first, without the hens around, and feeding them treats.
    What do you guys think?
    I know that its normally suppose to be 10 hens per roo but that's not a possibility for me.

Ive heard of people who have multiple roos with not alot of hens.
    The only thing i should also worry about is over mating.

I guess what i'm asking is, whats the best way to introduce them?

2. FarmerGrant011

FarmerGrant011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    um polish might be docile SOMETIMES.... but they are the definition of bi polar. My roo attacked me for the first time and I hold him everyday... i was like [​IMG]

3. FarmerGrant011

FarmerGrant011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    and introducing... i would keep the silkie in like a dog cage where there is no way for the polish to reach him... only see him. And then switch them out in a week. Then slowly gradually get them more accustomed to eachother by letting them out together under supervision.

4. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:Lol i kinda understand what you mean.
    Our polish just started to mature and every mean he has a fit and attacks the ways of his quarantine house or your hand when you try to feed him.
    Hes easy to control though, we just grab him and hold him till he chills out.

I'll make sure ones in a cage or something when they are first introduced then so nobody gets hurt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by