Do you think Chickens knows diffrent colors?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Omran, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    I am just wondering if anybody has a real Answer for the above Question????

Can chicken really tell what grass color from dirts's color and other things?

Omran.

2. Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Chillin' With My Peeps

All birds can see colors.

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I know ALL of my roos wanted to woo my Mille Fleur d'Uccle..... maybe it was just the pattern... but they also seem to flock together based on color to some extent.

The first response makes me say DER... LOL Yeah, it is why they have so many colors in the wild birds... why males are flashy to attract a mate [​IMG] Yes, not only do they see color... but they also rely on it, I would say [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  4. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    No doubt that they can see red very well. They have a strong urge to peck at anything red.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    They do see differences in colors.

6. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Quote:I agree!! If I carry anything red they come running!!! There feeders are red, so I am guessing that's why!!

7. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    yeah and they LOVED my tomatoes (green or red) but didnt touch any yellow veggies, and they will not touch carrots..cooked or raw.... but if its red, they are on it!!!

Oh, and I have a few that really like purple....I have neon purple hair and there are 3 of my girls that fly on my shoulder and brush my hair with their beaks, lol and they chase a purple ball around the back yard

8. They must at least see all the shades of colors. White to gray to black at least. I know the white birds and light colored birds will stick together and the darker ones will stick together.

They also know the different kind and breeds around them.

9. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Hey tiff, Try yellow pear tomatoes, my chickens went nuts for them over the cherry or grape tomatoes last summer. I don't eat them myself but grow them for the hubby and chickens. Needless to say poor hubby never got any last summer the chickens ate them all.

10. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Man I learn something new every time I come to BYC.

Thank you guys very much, I never was sure that they can see colors, but now I know.

Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by