Do YOU Think He Has a Chance at a Show?? Barred Rock!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rodriguezpoultry, Mar 21, 2009.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I think age is definitely going to hinder him, but he is entered into a poultry show on March 27-28, 2009. He is 5 months old.

Do you think I should even get my hopes up? I mean, I know exhibition Barred Plymouth Rocks are rare, but still...I'd hate to get them up only to be dashed. Oh...he stands NO chance against a White Plymouth Rock! LOL!

[​IMG]

Any comments are appreciated! Positive, negative, etc.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  2. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    I bet he would score well on Colour, I wish I had a barred rock with such wonderful markings!!!! *drool*
    Now thats what they are supposed to look like!!

His age and the brown on the beak probably will make him loose points, the beak can still clear up within the next year though.

Still a wonderful specimen of a Barred Plymouth Rock!

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    He has nice legs too [​IMG] He isnt posing very well there [​IMG] Too bad his comb isnt very developed, but maybe the judge will take that into consideration for his age.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Rodriquez, you know I know absolutely nothing about chicken breeds (except maybe for brahmas). Still even my untrained eye can see that he's gorgeous!
    I'll be keeping my fingers for him [​IMG]
    And if he doesn't win, he can come home with me.....yeah right! Like his majesty Thor would allow that. [​IMG]

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    He is beautiful, his markings give me motion sickness though! I know nothing about show quality so I can't help you there though. Go for it!

6. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    He does have the proper coloring for SQ br, it's just his age that's going to get him. He's got a few too many points on his comb, but it's not too big of a deal in comparison to the rest of the bird. I'd say bring him anyway [​IMG]

7. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    I would be interested in feed back on him. I think he is beautiful and my second favorite kind. None of mine look even close to having his markings. Take him and have fun! At the end of the day he will still love you win or lose [​IMG]

8. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

He looks like one of those roosters that isn't going to be ready to show until they are at least a cock. He's way too young looking still, sorry!

But He has crisp barring, in another 5 months maybe he'll look more filled out.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Beautiful plumage!!!

10. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    It is worth showing him just for his beautiful barring. Very nice. Post us a pic when he is a little older as well--about 9 months old-- would love to see him later. What is his weight?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by