do you think heat would kill mites/bedbugs?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by joan1708, Dec 8, 2011.

1. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    I'm building my coop out of old fence. So, I think I will have a higher mite infestation risk. I've heard a new way to kill bedbugs is heat. 120-130 degrees for 3 hrs will kill all adults, nymphs and eggs. I also heard taking a hair dyer and blowing it in cracks will make them come out. So, I'm thinking this may work in the coop also. During the spring clean-out, I will likely take a blow dryer to the walls and floor to make sure nothing comes out. I also think covering the coop with a tarp and putting a space heater in for 3 hours and getting the temp up to 120-130 degrees for a couple hours would be good for the sanitation of the coop (As long as I don't catch it on fire!). Has anyone done this or have any thoughts on the subject?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    High enough temperatures will just about kill anything I would imagine. So would my next electric bill. I think it would be cheaper to use a sprayer with bleachwater in it and spray everything, then do it again in 7-10 days. If you decide to use the hair dryer, let us know how it works out. BTW, how did the bugs hold up in the heat yall had this past summer?

3. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    It surprisingly wasn't a bad year since there was no rain. It was a very light year for mosquitoes. I am in healthcare and have seen several cases of bedbug bites on people. According to the internet and animal channels on TV, they are becoming a big problem. I read they are also a problem in chickens. This creeps me out a little and I want to be ahead of the game.

4. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Do yourself a favor, and heed this warning. Use a vacuum first, before you do any blowing.
    Trust me on this one. I never had any idea how much crap was actually inside all of those little nooks and cracks and crannies, until I did something really stoopid.
    Now I know how diseases are harbored in coops.
    Seriously!

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Chickens CAN harbor bedbugs???? That is new to me! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by