1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do you think I can get my broody to adopt my incubator chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dianneS, Nov 30, 2009.

1. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I have a hen trying to go broody. Yesterday I was able to chase her off of the nest, today she wouldn't budge! I took her eggs anyway since I don't want her hatching those particular eggs. I just hatched 8 babies in the incubator too.

I have two plans and I can't decide which one to try?

Plan A: Give the broody some fake eggs and move her to a brooder pen. Give her about two weeks to think she's hatching some babies and become really committed to the job. Meanwhile I'll raise my little ones inside and get them big and strong so they can be moved outdoors. Then during the night, put the babies under the mamma as well as add the heatlamp to the brooder. Then let mom take over until they are big enough to endure the cold and be outside with the rest of the population. Does that sound like it would work??

Plan B: Isolate the broody, give her some eggs I want to have hatched and just raise the babies in the house myself.

I was considering firing up the incubator again, but if I have a broody, maybe I should just use her? The babies I hatched in the house are banties and they are so tiny, I can keep them inside with no problems. If I hatch my full-sized eggs in the bator, I'll have full-sized babies to take care of inside the house. Bigger chicks, bigger poops... you get my drift.

What are the odds that mamma wouldn't adopt the babies? I really don't want anything to happen to these little ones, so I'm hesitant to put them outside, even with a mom. This hen has never gone broody for me before so I don't know what kind of a mom she is. Maybe I'd be better off just giving her some eggs??

What do you think?

2. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    i'm not an expert by any means... but from what i've read...

it don't think it would work to raise the birds inside for 2 weeks then give them to her.. you would have to do it as day olds.. if you really want these chicks and are worried about them i'd just keep them inside...

if you have other eggs you want hatched, why not let her try...

3. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    I agree with Evone...

If you want her to try, give her the eggs you want hatched, then let her do it all.

Keep your banties in the house.

4. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I think that is what I'll do. I'm collecting the eggs I want to have hatched right now. She is certainly broody and won't budge from the nest, so we're good to go! I just don't know what kind of mom she will be. Her sister was a fantastic mom. They are mixed breeds, but they both have OEGB and silky in them so they should be good broodies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by