Do you think I have a pair? (silkies)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sweeterdeeter42, Apr 23, 2011.

1. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Songster

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    Do you think I have a pair? The guy who sold them to me said he thought they were. He also said that he thinks that they are about 2 months old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    WAY too young to tell.

3. MinnerBuckwheat

MinnerBuckwheat Songster

Apr 23, 2011
    West Michigan
    My 4H leader has a silkie that is a year old and just found out it's a hen, because it laid an egg, lol. I can't figure it out with mine!

4. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Songster

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    The black one is definitely a pullet. I would like to see the Splash one from the side before venturing a guess.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I vote pullet for the black silkie. The other one- the crest isn't definitive.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    BOTH birds are way too young to tell from a photo. Maybe in person, but not from a couple of photos taken at 2 months of age.

7. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Songster

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    Eh, thought I'd give it a shot. [​IMG] I am suspecting the splash is a roo because of the way it defends the black one and the way it tries to start something with my other roos that it is with. I really dont care either way, as I am just thrilled to have gotten silkies. Sonoran, is the bird in your avatar groomed to be so fluffy, or are your birds just that awesome?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by