Do you think I might be a ROO? (<== sarcasm) UPDATED

ninabeast

Songster
8 Years
Apr 10, 2011
Upstate New York
I got my first chicks April 15, twelve pullets, or, at least, that's what I paid for. But you know how that goes... One turned out to be a roo, and we can't keep a roo, so we found him a home with a new flock of girls to take care of, with, as it turns out, a close friend of my younger daughter who lives just down the road. I'm glad we'll be able to keep tabs on him, and that he won't be going to freezer camp, as long as he behaves himself.

No questions, just a photo journal of our little" is s/he or isn't s/he?" adventure:

At Day Five, I already knew this Production Red chick was different. She was small and not feathering in as quickly as the others. They didn't have names yet, but I called her Little Red.

86005_jack1.jpg

At Day Fourteen, Little Red was way behind...

86005_jack2.jpg

And then, on Day Twenty Five...ACK!! What is that?! We named her Ruby, but cautiously...

86005_jack3.jpg

Maybe if I ignore it, it will go away...Day Thirty Six. SIGH.

86005_jack4.jpg

Okay, this might still be a pullet. I mean, what do I know, maybe she's just...different. I held out hope but began to make plans.

86005_jack6.jpg

Day Fifty Seven. I give up. It's a roo. Ruby is a Rudy. But at least he has a good home, and I can enjoy him for a little while longer while his new coop is built, and his new girls grow up a bit. But I think these girls might miss him a bit...

86005_jack7.jpg

I think he's gonna be a pretty boy...I start calling him Jack for no reason except it suits him.

86005_jack8.jpg

So, we're into Week Thirteen; what do you think? Roo or pullet??!! Please reply ASAP! I'm on tenterhooks here! NOT.

86005_jack10.jpg

Last edited:
He looks like one that we got at Atwoods that came from Ideal Hatchery. We found him a good home elsewhere as well. The three white/black look just like another chick we got at Atwoods too. She is a light Brahma bantam. We call her Ms. Fancy Pants. She is so prissy compared to the other chicks we got at the same time.

Last edited:
I'm not sure which hatchery mine came from, as I got them through Agway. I should ask my chicken lady. (And for those of you have have never seen the Chicken Lady from The Kids In The Hall, I direct you to youtube.)

Back
Top Bottom