Do you think I need cold hardy chickens on Long Island?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lisa202, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Hi all!![​IMG]

I live on Long Island and am wondering if you think that I should have cold hardy chickens. I am picking up 10 chicks in 2 weeks (3 buff brahma bantams, 3 easter egger bantams and 4 assorted bantams?) I asked several chicken people but nobody was really sure. I know the brahmas are especially cold hardy, but I'm not really sure about the other 7. I read that you shouldn't heat the coop in the winter b/c they won't become acclimated to the cold, but then I wouldn't want them to freeze either. We can get into the teens in the winter, but that's not normal.

Having feathers on their feet will help and roosting on a flat 2x4 will also help and I hopefully don't get any chickens with bigger combs. Other then that, that's all I know.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2010
  2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    From what I have read the most important thing you have to worry about in the coop is moisture (humidity). There still needs to be ventilation in the coop for the moisture to get out. If you go to the breeds index on the main page, you can check out the other breeds you are getting to find out if they are cold hearty. [​IMG]
  3. 3rocksandme

3rocksandme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Brookline, NH
    EEs are cold weather hardy.
  4. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Frost and moisture are the enemy in freezing temps.

So it is more a matter of your coop rather than simply cold hardy.

Chickens have that downy layer that puffs up and forms many air pockets and they can be quite warm.

You can use bag balm or vasaline to prevent frost bite on waddles and combs.

Rose combs are more frost bite resistant but the chickens kind of enjoy the attention.

You also need to be sure they have wider roosts like on a 2x2 pole. This is so their feet are covered when they roost and their toesies don't get too cold.

You can build a nice coop from pallets and spend money to make sure you have both good insulation and ventilation. Be sure your design allows you to open up so it is easy to clean and then in the snowy times it will be a snap to clean and you can use deep litter. Working out in the snow is a bit of a deterrent so if its easy to clean you are more likely to do it and that will control any ammonia build up in case you have to shut them in for a few days.

Keeping the water from freezing - their are a million suggestions.

Do make sure they are feathered out before you let them be outside birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by