1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do you think I will get eggs soon?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Redangler, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Redangler

Redangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2012
    Bradenton, FL
    I have a flock of 10 hens that were born on July 31. It consists of 4 RIR, 4 ISA Browns and 2 EE. They will be 19 weeks tomorrow. What do you think are the chances that I will see eggs in the near future. My main concern is the short days(only 12.5 hours daylight in Florida right now.) Temperatures are unseasonably warm although I don't think this is quite as much of a factor. Within the last 2 weeks combs and waddles have gotten much bigger and are now red from a pale pink on all but about 3 hens. I have not observed squatting as of yet but I have seen several areas in the coop that look like someone was trying to build a nest in the shavings but not much activity in the nesting boxes. Here are a few questions :

Do the combs get as red as my roosters comb before they lay?

Do you think they will wait till spring to lay?

Should I leave the areas that look like nests alone or cover them up to try to get them to use the nesting boxes.

Thanks for any info I am new to chickens but learning everyday.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    The hen's combs will turn a nice bright red when they are ready to lay. Some of my hens' combs were as bright, if not more, than the roo's. But, I have some hens laying now who's combs are red, but not bright red.
    It sounds like they may lay before Spring, if they're building nests already.
    Cover up their nests and put some fake eggs or golf balls in the nest boxes to show them where you want them to lay.

3. Redangler

Redangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2012
    Bradenton, FL
    Thanks Sumi. I did cover up the nest and have had golf balls in boxes for a couple weeks already. I was just concerned because the shortest day of the year has not got here yet and if the amount of daylight hours was going to affect their laying. I am not a huge fan of lighting but they better start paying their rent soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by