Do you think I'll see a difference in color of eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JessHall, Nov 10, 2009.

1. JessHall

JessHall Heavenly Hollow Ranch

Jun 11, 2009
    Shadow Hills, CA
    We have a Barred Rock - 24 weeks, a RIR - 23 weeks (confirmed laying), Australorps - 21 weeks, Easter Eggers - 17 weeks, and a Brahma - 16 weeks. As I said, the RIR has been seen laying. Anyways, it looks like two of the Australorps, or the Barred Rock will start laying next. They are displaying all the signs.
    My question is this, do you think I'll see much of a difference in color between the brown eggs when everyone starts to lay? It would be kind of nice to go out and say thanks to the right hen for the right egg... [​IMG]
    Just wondering [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Probably not. Some BRs lay a light creamy beige egg, some lay one about the color of light chocolate milk. Even among BRs, the colors vary. If you catch them laying one at a time, then you can learn who lays what.

3. JessHall

JessHall Heavenly Hollow Ranch

Jun 11, 2009
    Shadow Hills, CA
    How funny it is that I decided to post this TODAY! I just left work for a few minutes to go home and check the mail... no mail yet... so I checked the nests....
    Penny our RIR, has been laying a darker brown colored egg, Friday, Saturday, and Monday... this afternoon, in the nest was a light, almost pinkish/cream egg, smaller than Penny's last and WAY lighter in color. Is it possible that a new pullet is laying, or will their egg colors very in shade that drastically? Also, like I said, it's smaller ( I know there won't be much size consistency for a while but do they get smaller often?)

***Edited after I did some research
    As I understand it, RIR's lay rich medium brown eggs, BR's lay lighter brown/ eggs, and Australorps lay just brown eggs. So would it make sense to assume that my BR is laying now, and my RIR is just a bit irregular, laying almost every other day?

4. mags2009

mags2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    we have 3/7 girls laying right now. We can tell who's egg is who's by the color and size. Our red star, "Myrtle," lays the biggest and darkest egg, and always is the first to lay, before 7:30 in the morning. "Millie," a white rock lays a cream/tan colored egg, and "Mrs. Olson," another white rock lays a darker smaller egg. We have seen them all in the box after they laid, so we know who's is who's. Once the others start though, it will get harder to tell!!![​IMG]

5. Curlita

Curlita Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I can tell my Black Star (RIR/BR cross) eggs from my Australorp eggs - the Australorp eggs are paler brown and have a pinkish cast. I only have four hens, but I can usually tell who laid which egg. One of the Australorps lays very long, ovoid eggs and the colors vary slightly between the breeds.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I had a hatchery RIR who laid a creamy off-white egg. My current RIRs, breeder stock, lay a creamy, shiny light beige egg. Only had one RIR who laid a truly brown egg. They vary a bit by individual, not just by breed.

This flat has only Barred Rock eggs in it. The light ones came from Helmstead's flock while the dark one came from my hen, Lexie.
    [​IMG]

7. coop's chicks

coop's chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2009
    Southeastern Ontario
    My BRs lay dark brown eggs compared to my red sexlinks, which lay light brown eggs. My bantam leghorn lays tiny white eggs and my japanese hen lays long small cream- coloured eggs......takes a while to figure it all out, but you will eventually.....

8. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    I can tell by the egg which girl laid it. My BR's are the same color, but 1 is much larger than the other. My RIR's are much darker brown and also vary in size. The Leghorns are tricky. The eggs are slightly different, but the birds are identical. I still can't tell those two apart! I'm sure you'll be able to tell the eggs apart (once you figure out who they came from)!

ETA: Spelling (again)...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by