1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do you think it is too early to take my chicks out of the brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CDennis, Aug 15, 2013.

1. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    It's 100 for the high, 60 for the low, they are 3 1/2 weeks old. I haven't had a heat lamp on them in the tack room for over a week but there are younger chicks out there with lights on so it has been staying pretty warm. They are running out of room and I was considering putting them outside in a pen with a covered section. Is it too early with my lows of 60?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Where chicks are brooded is irrelevant. What matters is a proper environment and safety.

If you can provide that, then the where is unimportant. 3 1/2 week chicks are very, very close to not needing any supplemental warmth, not in those temperatures. Certainly, non of the chicks need any added heat when it is over 80-85 ambient temps.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  3. angel8035

angel8035 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Applegate, California
    Can you hang a heat lamp in the pen so they can still go under it if they are cold? The rule is that you supplement heat until they are fully feathered, usually around 6 weeks.

4. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I started putting my 3 1/2 week olds out Tuesday. They are out all day with a rubbermaid container on it's side with shaving if they feel chilly. It's been in the eighty's this week. I bring them in at night because it does get into the 60's. I feel that's too cold for not being fully feathered out.

5. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Thank you. And I'll make sure they have a heat lamp at night for a few weeks longer. Thank you!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by