Do you think Mareks disease or maybe vitamin deficiency?

groomer530

In the Brooder
Jan 25, 2021
yesterday I found my serama rooster laying on his back I picked him up and put him on his feet and he continued to walk backwards and looks like he can't balance, I kept him inside overnight to keep an eye on him, during the night he ended up on his back again, I put him on his feet again and he backed into a corner again. This morning he has a seizure and I took him to the vet. I told him I read about a vitamin deficiency that can cause those symptoms and I read about wry neck, he went and got a book and looked in it and he said he thinks it's Merrick's desease or trauma, he gave me some steroid medication to help with trauma and said in 5 says if he's not improving I should put him down, is there anyone who has experienced this and their chicken turned out ok? He's over a year old and I only have one other chicken I don't know how he could of gotten Merrick's but I'm no vet.

Welcome To BYC

What do you feed?

It would be hard to know what's wrong unless you lose him and have additional testing/necropsy.

The symptoms you describe do sound neurological so Marek's disease or trauma are possibilities.

I would try vitamin therapy to see if that makes a difference. Give him 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex once a day along with some scrambled egg. Ensure that he's drinking well and eating a nutritionally balanced feed. For a little rooster like that I would give him chick starter to eat.

Here is a video of my mini rooster, he's been like this for a few days now, what could be wrong? Vet thinks Mareks disease, some say vitamin deficiency and it takes time to see improvement, I don't want him to suffer either in case it's Mareks I've been giving him vitamin B vitamin E and selenium, he can't balance and sits on his butt he'll get up and walk for a sec and then get off balance again, very wabbled, he Will end up on his back sometimes because of his off balance, he also has a small seizure a day.

If I give him the vitamin therapy how long do you think it would take to see any progress someone said it could take a couple weeks

Your video may need to be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here for use to see it. How old is he? Make sure that he can reach food and water, or you may need to feed him 2-3 times a day. If you should lose him in the future, it might be good to contact your state vet for a necropsy and testing for Mareks. Here is a list of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Back
Top Bottom