Do you Think my Australorps are Show Quality?

Are they show quality?

• Yes

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

AustralorpsAU

Songster
May 20, 2016
Down Under
Hi everybody,

I have a couple of Australorp hens that i am wanting to breed from in the future. I would like to get your opinion whether my Australorp hens are worthy of breeding from and/or show quality? I know they don't have jet black eyes... they have dark brown which makes me question them a tiny bit

Do you have the Standard of Perfection? Have you studied the standard for the 'Lorps? This is what they'll be judged against. If you are going to "breed" them, you'll need to do so against that same standard. Asking folks on the internet who themselves have never owned, read or studied the breed's standard about whether your birds are "show quality" won't net you much quality input. Are you a member of the Australorp club? That's where you're going to find people who are dedicated to and knowledable the breed. I write from a North American perspective, but all this can be translated for the Australian Standard.

Exhibition lines are usually only secured from exhibition line breeders. Think about where you sourced these birds.

As I read the Australorp standard, I find that the combs are to be "perfectly straight and upright".
The standard does not call for black eyes.
The tails are to be "medium length and well spread" sweeping to a 40 degree angle. I'm seeing rather pinched tails on the birds shown.
Shanks must be "black in young, shedding to dark slate in adult. Feet and toe bottoms pinkish white".

So, you decide whether these birds are of the quality necessary to be exhibited as top examples of the breed. If you're passionate about the breed, go to a top exhibition. See the breed winning birds. Talk to folks who, like you, love the breed and have some of the very best. They will be your greatest help in this fancy. Best wishes on your endeavor.

Last edited:
Do you have the Standard of Perfection? Have you studied the standard for the 'Lorps? This is what they'll be judged against. If you are going to "breed" them, you'll need to do so against that same standard. Asking folks on the internet who themselves have never owned, read or studied the breed's standard about whether your birds are "show quality" won't net you much quality input. Are you a member of the Australorp club? That's where you're going to find people who are dedicated to and knowledable the breed. I write from a North American perspective, but all this can be translated for the Australian Standard.

Exhibition lines are usually only secured from exhibition line breeders. Think about where you sourced these birds.

As I read the Australorp standard, I find that the combs are to be "perfectly straight and upright".
The standard does not call for black eyes.
The tails are to be "medium length and well spread" sweeping to a 40 degree angle. I'm seeing rather pinched tails on the birds shown.
Shanks must be "black in young, shedding to dark slate in adult. Feet and toe bottoms pinkish white".

So, you decide whether these birds are of the quality necessary to be exhibited as top examples of the breed. If you're passionate about the breed, go to a top exhibition. See the breed winning birds. Talk to folks who, like you, love the breed and have some of the very best. They will be your greatest help in this fancy. Best wishes on your endeavor.

Ok Thanks. I am part of the Australorp club and i will see with them.

Here is a good visual in determining the difference between black australorps and black orpingtons. Just because a bird is "round and fluffy" doesn't quite make it an orpington. Granted, orpingtons are far more deep and thick than australorps, but there is definetly a difference. Australorps are a larger bird too, keep in mind. But a good quality orpington will have a much deeper body as well as a much shorter back than the birds you posted. It is my observation that what you have are australorps. Black Australorp: Black Orpington:
Actually an Orpington is a much larger bird than an Australorp. If you see an Australorp that is larger than quality Orpingtons then you Australorp are way to large. I have raised both for years. Matt

Back
Top Bottom