Do you think my pullet will ever lay again?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BrandoMan, Mar 17, 2012.

1. BrandoMan

BrandoMan Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Prewitt, NM USA
    Hello I have a pullet thats almost a year old now. She used to lay eggs but the poor girl has had a rough life and Im affraid she wont lay ever again. Heres what has happened in her short life so far. She used to be the bravest and toughest hen out of the two I have. If a dog, cat, bird or anything came near she would fight it and protect her sister. She got in a scrap with rez dogs on more than one occasion and her last bout the dog decided it was gonna eat her alive from the back end but I saved her from death but not before her tail feathers and butt were tore off.. Her tail feathers were barely hanging on her butt by some skin. it was gross and i didnt think she would make it but she lived. The flesh died off and she lost all her tail feathers but she healed but had a limp. A month later and its winter and we had alot of snow and she decided she wasnt gonna go into her coop so guess what. she got frostbite. one foot had some on end off toes but the other foot was pretty bad so she ended up losing her whole foot and some missing toes on the other. Her tail still hasnt grown back. she a tough lil chicken but she stays in her chicken area almost all the time. she hops around to her food and water and stuff and sometimes she flys out of her fenced area and goes exploring with her sis but not often. before I didnt worry about here laying since she was healing and winter came but no her sisters been laying like crazy so I would think she would want to also. question is u think she might had her reproductive organs damaged. its been probably 3 months or longer since her brush with death. she eats drinks and does her thing.

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Physical or any stress can keep them from laying. She's still healing and her body has decided to heal and not divert nutrition toward laying an egg. She probably will lay again once she's healed and her body is no longer stressed. But it could take a lot longer than you'd think. She probably looks fine now, but her body is still saying "not yet."

3. BrandoMan

BrandoMan Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Prewitt, NM USA
    Yeah makes sense. She was the biggest hen but since her deathwish she has stopped growing and my other hen is bigger and weighs alot more than her now so seems her body is using everything for healing. makes sense and thank u.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by