Do you think my two Roo's can stay?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MeatKing, Jul 2, 2010.

1. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 14 chickens two roo's the rest hens. All raised together, from day olds. I'm hoping I can keep both. Do you think they will get along with eash other since they were raised together?
    What should I watch for, to know if it's time for one to go?

Thank-you

The two roo's are a buff orfingtin and a barred rock.

2. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    IDK for sure, but I am letting my two Australorp Roos stay with the 24 hens they were raised with. They are five months old now, so not fully mature, but no problems so far. I am just going to watch for increasing tension, fights that go beyound small scuffles, missing feathers, ect. I think you'll know as they get into puberty. How old are they now?

3. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

They are 10 weeks old now [​IMG]

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I have a Black Langshan and a Silver Lakenvelder roo that share my flock. They hang out together and watch the flock together and goodness knows that if that big 'ol Langshan wanted to dominate my little Lakenvelder, he could. They are both about a year old. So far, it's working out fine for my boys.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It can work, depending on the personality of the roos. I had two for awhile. The alpha was very alpha and the beta very beta. Minimal fussing. Every great once in awhile the beta would tick the alpha off and there would be chasing, but once the beta fell down and played dead the chase was over.
    I may have several cockerels in the brooder right now, I know for sure I have at least two. Still, with 30+ hens I don't foresee a major problem.
    Your problem may end up being not enough hens and some could end up bare-backed.

6. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    I have 32 hens ans 2 roos. Everything was fine between my 2 boys until yesterday. They are both 6 months old and were raised together, actually they're brothers. Well they are now at all out war. Ripping out feathers and bloody combs. I have had them separated since yesterday evening.

Up until yesterday it was the normal squabbles, chasing and pecking. I think they're hormones have fully kicked in and the beta has decided to take on the alpha and neither one looks like they are going to give in.

So I have a decision to make! BBQ, bachelor pad or get started on the second coop!

7. bigchicken2

bigchicken2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    It'll be fine. I have 4 roos and 9 hens and it's fine.

8. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    Quote:Good information on roosters. We have ended up with several (hens going broody) that I really don't want to get rid of. I just don't think I will find another person who will be as good to their chickens as we are to ours:lol:

9. darcylapp

darcylapp Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    Madison
    I have the same issue. I have three hens and two roosters. They are all still very young. The older (12-week-old) rooster is sweet to humans, aggressive towards the new babies.
    Our chicken run is 24 x 14 feet, and our coop is designed to hold up to 12 chickens. Can I keep both of these roosters? I'm worried about: 1) the amount of attention our three hens will receive, and 2) how aggressive the roosters will become to each other and to us.

However, I'm attached, and I can't imagine giving either of them to any place that would not treat them as nicely as we do.

If this situation can't work out, does anyone know to where I can give one of my beloved little roosters that will not kill him or treat him badly?

10. rainyday1016

rainyday1016 New Egg

Mar 17, 2010
    My problem is turning out to be my neighbors roo. My roo will hop the fence or the other way around and they start going to war. Im guessing we need to clip wings, but need to do some research. The funny thing is my roo is really friendly and protective of his flock at the same time.

4 hens and a roo all Buffs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by