Do you think she is getting ready to lay for the first time?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DeAnna314, Jul 8, 2010.

1. DeAnna314

DeAnna314 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    Fayetteville, NC
    I have a Wyandotte who is 19 weeks old. In fact I have two wyandottes, a light brahma and three silkies of the same age, all hens and no one laying yet. THis morning she is being very noisy and seemingly in distress. THe weather here has been horribly hot. The chickens have a temporary home in a large fenced in kennel, in she shade and covered for their "home". I close it at night but the have the run of the yard and several cooler places during the day to rest like under the deck. My main concern is that I want them to lay in their "home" when the time comes. Anyhow, this Wyandotte kepts squalking so I put her in the kennel a few hours. I just went out and opened the gate back up and took half a cantaloupe with me. She is sitting in the middle of the kennel and I am wondering if she is getting ready to lay for the first time. I have no rooster to help them or older hens to show them the ropes. Even with the door open she is sitting. What do you think? A sick bird or maybe gonna lay? Certainly I realize time will tell but I will bring her into air conditioning and separate her if she is sick. Not sure what to do but she seems distressed and I am worried. THanks

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Do you have a nesting box in there? You could put a golf ball in it and she will see that and get the idea.

3. DeAnna314

May 31, 2010
    Fayetteville, NC
    I have a big plastic dog carrier with wood shavings and a plastic storage bin turned on it's side with the lid tied open like an awning....no box per se. I think the smaller box might help her be more comfortable maybe? I think she went under the deck. Wont be fun to look under there later for an egg. So you think it sounds like she will lay then? The age is right.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  4. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    how sweet if she is working on her first egg.................sounds like it could be.
    I am not certain what is normal for this breed, my Marans have started at twenty weeks.
    My hens are pretty noisy prior to laying.
    I f she is ill, seems like it would be more not eating, looking depressed or lathargic.
    Let us know.......Also.....sometimes our first eggs are very small...my husband brought one in the other day that is the same diameter as a dime...................said he almost missed it.

5. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    Hi from Cedar Grove, NC. Yes, it is horribly hot - especially yesterday. I got my 1st chickens last year and the first layer was a Sex Link at about 19 wks. I did have nest boxes with fake eggs and for about 2wks before she actually layed, she would constantly jump in the boxes and make lots of noise. Like you, no rooster so I would fluff up the straw to help her get the idea. Finally, the day came and she layed a beautiful brown egg, I was so happy - and she seemed relieved to finally know what she was supposed to do. The rest of the flock followed suit over the next 3 wks, without all the dramatics. Guess the first one is the groundbreaker. We got a GL Wyandotte this year, she is beautiful though a bit shy. I imagine the new ones will eventually learn from the older girls, though they are only 11wks old so still a ways to go.

Keep cool down there, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a bit of rain to help cool things off and keep the plants alive.

6. DeAnna314

May 31, 2010
    Fayetteville, NC
    Thank you! I will get their area spiffed up with fresh shavings this afternoon. I also took a good look and sure enough, everyone has taken refuge under the lower deck which I couldnt get under if I tried. Super.....I will have to do something under there to deny access in case there is ever anyone under there sick or injured and I certianly dont want them to lay under there! I have an above ground pool with a deck around it which they love to be under but the original lower deck is the problem. I think for today I will just leave them alone. It is way too hot to upset them. By tonight I will have things set to go and maybe I can bribe my son to low crawl in there for me! lol Thank so much! I will follow up in the next 24 hrs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by