Do you think she will lay soon?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by careeka22, Oct 3, 2016.

1. careeka22

careeka22 Just Hatched

Jul 29, 2016
    Her waddles got HUGE and red this last week! She is still pretty quiet though, the quietest of my 4 girls. Just turned 14 weeks. She is a Dixie Rainbow. Thanks

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  2. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    That's about how mine look now. They are almost 6 months old and have just started laying within the last couple weeks. Looks like yours will be an early bloomer. Is she squatting down when you approach her?

3. careeka22

careeka22 Just Hatched

Jul 29, 2016
    Hmm I need to see if she does. I didn't really try to approach her recently as they just go in and out of the coop when I call them. She has been huge but those wattles came out of nowhere! I read some lay as early as 4 months, that would be really cool. My other girls (2 black sex links and a RIR don't seem close at all). They are from the same hatchery. Thanks!

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

By the look of the pullet....Eggs will be soon...Meaning, within the next few weeks.....
    My Danish Brown hen looked ready and acted ready for a month before her first egg....I never worry....Eggs will be laid when they are ready....

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  5. Dmontgomery

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    Is she a red sex link? The picture kinda looks like that. I've read it is not uncommon for them to lay at 4 months. I have 19 of them and almost all were slow to develop for some reason.

6. careeka22

careeka22 Just Hatched

Jul 29, 2016
    They told me she is a Dixie Rainbow AKA Pioneer. She is HUGE compared to my others. I have 2 black sex links and they don't look even close to ready. Here is a picture of her body with my 5 year old holding her. She weighs a ton!

[​IMG]

7. Dmontgomery

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    My bad. I didn't read close enough. I thought her name was Dixie Rainbow, not her breed. Maybe you'll get jumbo eggs!

1 person likes this.
  8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Have you done the two finger measurement of her butt bones? Find the two bony protrusions on each side of her vent. If you can fit two fingers between them, she should be ready to lay very soon.

1 person likes this.
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

10. careeka22

careeka22 Just Hatched

Jul 29, 2016
    Yeah I've read that too but some say they are good layers too. She was sold to me as an easter egger so I had no clue. But we love her now so will see what happens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by