1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do you think theres still a chance? ..humidity drop.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by happyhens44, Jan 24, 2011.

1. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Im almost on day 2

I went to get with the humidity at 47% and Temp 99.4

Woke up to humidity at 10% and temp at 98.6

I temps usually stable but this is the second day in a role I woke up to 10%, Do you think They're still ok? any suggestions to keep it up at night. I sleep for 9 hours and it dropped within that time.

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    They should be fine [​IMG]

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    It will help to know what kind of incubator you have. You should have a larger volume of water with a steady surface area. In other words, a deep square bottom container to maintain equal humidity. Otherwise a maxi pad soaked in water works pretty good, but also tends to spike. Drops in humidity won't kill a chick except to stick them at hatch. Average humidity to keep the dehydration of the egg at the right rate. Find something that works and keep the humidity up for a couple of days, then let it even out.

4. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Hovabato 1602n, I put a sponge in there with water in it, And I put water in a little shot glass.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Jen is right on. What she means by square-bottomed container is not that the container has to be a square. Round or rectangular works too. It means the sides of the container need to go straight up and down so the surface area does not change. As she said, the surface area is what counts, not the total volume of water. Wasn't sure that was clear.

I'm not familiar with that model so I'll let others comment specifically. Thanks for including make and model. That really helps.

6. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Your hovabator should have channels in the plastic bottom tray that you fill with water. usually one channel filled is enough for normal incubation. sponges, like maxipads, give you a spike and then they dry out. The shot glass won't work. You can find a container that will hold your sponge and fill it with water so that the top of the sponge sticks out, but this will usually give you way too much humidity. Have you calibrated your hygrometer? Are the plugs in the top?

7. jmorriso

jmorriso Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2010
    The hatch I'm on right now hovered at about 16% humidity up until lockdown and they seem to be doing fine. I think you only need to be worried about low humidity after lockdown because that would cause shell stickage. I use paper towels and sponges to boost my humidity to around 70% for lockdown. If you haven't ready it about it before, do a search for dry incubation on the site and read the article, it was very helpful to me

8. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Does anybody have a pic of the water channel I dont think I have one?

9. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    There should be a plastic bottom under the wire, if its the same as my hoverbator [​IMG]

10. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Huh. I did not get one. [​IMG] i bought it brand new. I found a circular top thats larger, put water in it under the wire. Now im waiting to see where it brings the humidity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by