Do you think these 2 are roosters???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TN.MamaHen, Apr 29, 2009.

1. TN.MamaHen

TN.MamaHen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I'm just wondering if these two may be roos. I'm kinda new to all this, and just wondering if my instincts are right.[​IMG]

Rhode Island Red #1

[​IMG]

Rhode Island Red #2

[​IMG]

2. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    If they're the same age, my guess is the top one is pullet, the bottom one is a roo. Based on the hen's feathers being more fully developed; roos get back, tail, and wing-bow feathers much later than pullets do.

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.CountryChickens.com

3. undermywings

undermywings chicken chaser

Mar 29, 2009
    California high desert
    I am guessing they are around 2 months old? They look like roos but I'm no pro. Just out with mine and trying to answer that same question on my my 12 chicks that are 5 to 6 weeks old. What breed are they? The bottom one looks more roo than the other one.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2009
  4. TN.MamaHen

Apr 28, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Quote:Yeah,actually right at 2 months old.They are Rhode Island Reds. That's the only 2 out of the 6 of them I got that even look like they could possibly be roos. I'm with both of the replies...the bottom I'm almost sure is,but the top just throws me off because he/she had the first red comb and waddles,and is a bit bigger than all of them.

5. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    I say two boys. And Rhode Island Reds are generally not that light in color unless they are a production strain and or hatchery quality. Perhaps they are a production strain of New Hampshire Reds which are generally more orange like that.

6. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I say boys too. My RIR hens didn't look anything like them at 2 months. They still had small pink combs and lots of feathers everywhere.

7. TN.MamaHen

Apr 28, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Quote:Thanks for the info. I was just told they were Rhode Island Reds when I bought them,I'm new to all this,and they are really just going to be pets anyhow...we were just wanting to start with something hardy and easy to care for,and good egg layers are always a plus.[​IMG]

8. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:I agree. Look like two NHR roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by