Do you think these are hens??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mumofchicks, Oct 27, 2013.

1. mumofchicks

mumofchicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2013
    Now my little ones are not so little I would appreciate if you could help me to identify I they are girls or not. The brown one is apparently a isa brown but I am a little confused about the fluffy cheeks. The grey one is apparently an aracana.
    Not too worried about the breed but if they are boys then I need to find them new homes. [​IMG][/IMG]
    Your help is appreciated. :)

2. mumofchicks

Sep 18, 2013
    [​IMG]

3. Frankie Ruiz

Frankie Ruiz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    Long Island, New York
    deffinetly both hens!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    How old are they?

I think they are both females. The brown bird isn't an Isa brown, it's an Easter egger. The color is common to both breeds, but the puffy cheeks tell the tale. She should have a decent chance of laying you green or blue eggs.

the grey bird isn't an aracauna, either. Honestly, I'm not sure what breed she is, with that color and that color legs. I can't tell from the pic---what type of comb does she have?

5. mumofchicks

Sep 18, 2013
    The grey one has black legs and no comb at all yet. They are about 6 - 7 weeks old. Ooohhh blue eggs that is very cool. I am so happy you think they are girls. I had tears at the very thought of parting with them.

6. mumofchicks

Sep 18, 2013
    What colour eggs will they grey one lay? I was told that if she is In fact a hen that she will lay blue eggs. This is what happens when you get ropped into buying the hatched chicks from the kinder when you don't know what your getting. Like I said not too worried about breed just wanted girls so I can keep them. But to find out what my grey chook is would be great.

7. Frankie Ruiz

Oct 19, 2013
    Long Island, New York
    goodluck with the birds, i always wanted an easter egger

8. Frankie Ruiz

Oct 19, 2013
    Long Island, New York
    well since the breed is unknown it would be hard to say right now. you can tell by what color their ear lobes are, if theyre white, theyll lay white eggs, if theyre red theyll lay brown eggs, with an exception to a few breeds.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    So glad they're both female then!

The grey one could be an atypical Easter egger--she has no beard/muffs and the solid grey isn't a usual EE color......it's just hard to tell at this point. My guess is she'll either lay blue/green, if an EE, or some shade of brown. She doesn't look like a white egg layer. Two blue/green layers would be great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by