Do you think these eggs are fertile?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dianneS, Jul 6, 2011.

1. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I used to have two full-sized roosters and one banty. Now I only have one big roo. When I had the two big guys, it was like a competition with them servicing the girls. My hens eggs were always fertile. Now that there is no competition I don't see the remaining roo after the hens quite as much? I've cracked some eggs and they look fertile, but some I'm unsure about?

I just gave 8 eggs to a friend to put under her broody and I'm hoping and praying they are fertile! I've got about 12 hens and 2 roos, seven of the hens are not of laying age yet. The chickens all free range most of the time. What are the odds of my eggs being fertile or infertile?

2. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    I think it also depends on the fertility of the birds, not so much numbers.

3. cybermamma6

cybermamma6 New Egg

Jul 6, 2011
    I have the same concern! I have two very active roo's and three hens. I think the one hen is sitting on her eggs but the others aren't. I have tried candeling them and have discovered by accidently cracking one that it was fertile. The others I don't know for sure but there are about seven eggs total now since the cracked one disappeared without a trace. I'm wondering if chickens will eat damaged or fertilized but still born chicks. Our chicken coop isn't as well contained as I'd like it to be so I'm also wondering if I should be looking for a predator as well.

I'm sorry this doesn't offer you any more help with your question as mine is very similar but I'm hoping that maybe you have more knowledge of chicken breeding than I do because we sure miss eating the eggs. Of course we'd love to have some new chicks around to. What do you think happened to the cracked egg?

4. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I have chickens that will eat eggs. Its possible the cracked one was eaten by a chicken. I doubt a preditor or it would have taken more than just a cracked egg!

I certainly hope that these eggs are fertile. I just don't know if my roo makes it around to all the hens? She is one of the girls that hangs around with the roo most of the day. A few of them disappear into the woods and aren't seen again until evening.

I read that if the roo fertilizes a hen just once, that her eggs will be fertile for three weeks. I certainly hope that this hen got her "turn" sometime in the past two weeks or so.

I'll be so embarassed if these eggs don't hatch. I didn't sell them, I gave them away for free, because I was always told that if there is a roo in with the hens, the eggs are most likely fertile! I hope that's true. [​IMG]

5. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    they're pretty good odds that they're fertile. it takes half a blink for chicken conception to happen, and once bred, the hen can store semen for several weeks. they don't need to be bred every day.

6. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Quote:I didn't know that!!!! I will put my roooster back in and let him do his thing for a few days and then take him out, he's rough on my girls and also attacks me!!!! But he's absolutley beautiful don't have the heart to cull him yet so have separate pen
    Ayda

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If you've cracked some and looked for the bull's eye, then you've done what you can do. Time will tell.

Eggs stay fertile dfferent amounts of time after a mating, sometimes as little as 9 days, sometimes as long as three weeks. Most people use two weeks as a good average. The way I understand it, you have two roosters, a full sized and a bantam, free ranging with five hens of egg laying age.

It does depend on the age and vitality of the rooster. They can slow down as they get older. The hen too, for that matter. She's also involved in the process. I think the odds of the eggs being fertile are real good. Don't totally discount the bantam rooster. You'd be surprised what might go on behind the woodshed.

8. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    That's a relief. My roos are less than 3 years old and my hens less than 2.

Six of the eggs that I collected were all laid within 2-4 days. The other two, more than four days prior, but I don't know exactly when they were laid. I hope that the fresher eggs mean the odds of viability are better?

I just hope a few of them hatch. I'd feel terrible if I gave my friend dud eggs. At least I didn't charge her for them.

Her broody is young and this is her first hatch. I'm not sure if she knows what she's doing? She seems to be getting off the nest more frequently than my broodies do, but at least the weather is warm!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  9. cybermamma6

cybermamma6 New Egg

Jul 6, 2011
    Thank-you dianneS for your quick reply. I have since tried to get a hold of the eggs again to see if they're still warm but my big roo is very protective and won't even let me in the chicken pen. I also have discovered my red hen sitting solemnly on her eggs and refusing to move so I'm hoping this means they'll be hatching soon. I just wish I knew what to do next. I want chicks but I also want to eat the eggs if they're not fertilized. Thanks for the info about the chickens taking care of their own wasted eggs. At least I know now that my chickens are safe for the most part.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by