Do you think these will be friendly chickens?

basicliving

Keepin' the sunny side up
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
Shenandoah Valley, VA
I ordered my chicks from McMurrays a little while ago and they'll be here in a couple of weeks. I've been reading this forum to see what people have to say about the breeds I ordered, but I haven't found anything. I really hope I ordered some friendly natured chicks - especially the 2 roosters. They didn't have any of the breeds I originally wanted, so I chose from what they had available. Can anyone tell me if you've had experience with these and if they are friendly?

Phoenix - (1 rooster and 4 hens)
Silver Gray Dorking (1 rooster only)
Golden Penciled Hamburgs (all hens)
White Faced Black Spanish (all hens)
Silver Leghorn (all hens)

Thank you,
Penny

My experiences with Hamburgs, Leghorns and Dorkings is that they're scared more easily and flighty. As mentioned before, there are always exceptions.

I dont know anything about those breeds, but all you can do is try. Just handle them a lot and lots of cuddle time. no matter what you wil love your babies to peices!!!

Thanks for the responses everyone. I really hope these end up being good chickens! And Bec, thank you for the kind words. I work from home, so I plan on spending LOTS of time with them. I'm determined to have nice chickens! I grew up with a MEAN rooster. No idea what breed. He was big and white and mean and lived forever. I once asked my mom why we didn't just eat him, and she said he was so mean she was sure his meat would be too tough to eat. LOL! Hopefully I'll have better luck. I just can't wait until the chicks get here!

Penny

Last edited:
Well I tamed guineas....If that is possible I am sure you will get your babies to be little luv bugs!! My guineas LOVED me...they would perch on my shoulders like parrots and even made a surprise appearance at my neighbors picnic and stole Baked Ziti off of someones plate!!!
I am sure you will be fine...even if they are not lap birds, they will still love you and follow you around!

That's funny! Wish I could have seen your neighbors faces! As long as my chickens aren't mean, I'll be happy. I waited so late to order because we wanted to get the coop built first, and then we are leaving for a week the beginning of May, so I didn't want to leave babies alone that long. So I waited to order, and they were out of just about everything by then. But they'll be here around the 21st of May and I'm really excited. I'll post pics when they get here.

BTW - I ordered the Phoenix because they are so pretty in the magazine and they were available. I may try the search engine again and see if there are any posts about them.

Penny

Back
Top Bottom