Do you think they will lay again?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pattgal, Mar 26, 2011.

1. pattgal

pattgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I bought these three marans last fall
    the guy told me they had just gone through a molt and would begin laying in about a month.
    after that month went by, it was pretty much winter so I figured the low production was because of that. I'm getting one egg every 3-5 days
    It's spring now and I'm thinking of isolating them one by one to see exactly who is laying and who is not. So I'll know who to cull
    I'm sure the man told me how old they were but I can't remember (mom brain).
    what do you guys think? Should I give them a chance. I heard marans are no nonsense broodies. but I don't think they would go broody without being able to lay..

2. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    How much light are they getting? Any idea on how old they are?

3. pattgal

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Quote:they get just as much light as the rest of the flock. Iv'e got a 60W set on a timer from 5am to 10pm
    and a second 60W light that I turn on in the morning whenever I get up, and turn it off around 8 or 9pm
    my 3 red hens lay consistently, my leghorn is ever faithful. my EE's are moderate layers but that's just the way they are i guess
    but those 3 marans...one egg every once in a while. I'd be lucky If I got 2 in a week. from all 3 of them!!!

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Marans are not supposed to be the best of layers. Since the rest are laying pretty well, you may have gotten some older birds, what they call "spent," birds that are past their prime laying period of maybe 2 years old.

If they are broody (and Marans do tend to go broody,) they should be spending the whole day and night in the nest, with one or two short breaks a day, and growl and fluff up at you if you reach in there.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Since we've past the equinox and days are getting as long now as they will be all year, this is the time to judge them.

If one bird is laying all three eggs per week, and the others zip, I'd cull the two. If each lays only 1 egg per week, I'd cull. Feed is expensive.
    Folks sell used up or poor laying birds and that's OK, but forthrightly informing the buyer is required.
    Each flock keeper must decide how best to manage his/her flock for economics. My cut off is 4 eggs per week. I have a loyal customer base and that is just the way it is. A crock pot slow cooker can do wonders.

6. pattgal

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Fred's Hens :

Since we've past the equinox and days are getting as long now as they will be all year, this is the time to judge them.

If one bird is laying all three eggs per week, and the others zip, I'd cull the two. If each lays only 1 egg per week, I'd cull. Feed is expensive.
    Folks sell used up or poor laying birds and that's OK, but forthrightly informing the buyer is required.
    Each flock keeper must decide how best to manage his/her flock for economics. My cut off is 4 eggs per week. I have a loyal customer base and that is just the way it is. A crock pot slow cooker can do wonders.

So Should I isolate them now or wait about a month?
    I did a quick search and a spent hen will not go broody. So they would be useless to me
    But yes, the crock pot does wonders [​IMG] I love that thing​

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yes, isolation is an effective method of determining egg count.

I wince at your original post. I am not saying for sure or anything, but it has all the marks of dumping fall hens. Notice the details. He sold them in fall. You've fed them now for 6 months, half a year almost, for zip in return.

It kind of irritates me a bit, as you can tell. Sellers dumping used up hens in fall because they don't want to carry them through the winter. Again, this is fine if the buyer is told the truth. The buyer could then decide if he/she wants them for soup from the get go and not spend 6 months feeding them. Just my take, folks.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Fred's Hens :

Sellers dumping used up hens.... this is fine if the buyer is told the truth.

I agree.​

9. pattgal

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Fred's Hens :

Yes, isolation is an effective method of determining egg count.

I wince at your original post. I am not saying for sure or anything, but it has all the marks of dumping fall hens. Notice the details. He sold them in fall. You've fed them now for 6 months, half a year almost, for zip in return.

It kind of irritates me a bit, as you can tell. Sellers dumping used up hens in fall because they don't want to carry them through the winter. Again, this is fine if the buyer is told the truth. The buyer could then decide if he/she wants them for soup from the get go and not spend 6 months feeding them. Just my take, folks.

I think you are right. I'm fairly new at this so I won't beat myself up too bad for it.
    on the bright side they are a good size bird. I'm looking forward to testing their productivity.
    my dog crate is being used as a nesting box right now, So I will have to come some other sort of nesting box arrangements, lol, My EE went broody and it is impossible to move her. So I had to move everyone else into the summer coop.
    the summer coop isn't set up for egg layers. Sigh. [​IMG]

10. pattgal

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I put one in confinement today. how long should i give them to prove themselves?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by