Do you think this (about 5wk old) BA is a roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by alalele, May 10, 2008.

1. alalele

alalele Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Livingston Parish, LA
    If a young roo is sweet, will his attitude change and become mean due to hormones?

So far, I really like this suspected roo, even though I didn't want one initially. How will this effect the eggs for consumption? Can a Roo be housed with my other 3 hens? And I don't want to raise chicks.

What issues am I facing if this is a Roo that stays sweet and I want to keep him?

pic taken may8- roo'ish behaviour but still very sweet! (warm day in temp pen)
    [​IMG]

may8-BA alway sticking face up to lense
    [​IMG]

may 8 -shows pinker comb
    [​IMG]

may1- pic shows size of comb just a week ago, and was still yellow
    [​IMG]

2. ezbird

ezbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Nice Roo.
    Handling any chickens makes them friendly even roos.
    If you keep him, he needs a separate pen.
    Don't let him stay with your hens, if you don't want any chicks. [​IMG]

3. alalele

alalele Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Livingston Parish, LA
    Can he stay in the same hen house? (fingers crossed!.. hoping so... cause I sure like him)

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    He will have to be separated from your hens or you will have chicks. You can separate them by wire in the run but nature is nature and is he gets near the girls...babies!

5. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:Ummmm.........not. All you have to do to prevent babies is gather the eggs. They are fine to eat and you will never know the difference. Fertile eggs look and taste just like non fertile eggs. [​IMG]

6. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    He is going to be a very handsome roo. Having him will not effect the eggs at all as long as you collect them daily. It is your decision if you want him to house with the ladies or have his own seperate pen in the same coop.
    My Roo has his own pen and is in the same coop, he is seperated from the ladies with wire. He is Free Range during the day and the ladies have their enclosed run. I decided to seperate my so that he wasnt rough on the ladies and I didnt care if the eggs were fertile.
    His attitude shouldn't change as long as you continue to treat him the same. My Roo (pictured in my avatar) is just as sweet and we love having him.

Last edited: May 10, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by