1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do you think this feather loss is from over mating?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MysteryChik, Mar 1, 2017.

1. MysteryChik

MysteryChik Chillin' With My Peeps

We made plans to buy 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes Hens and one rooster from someone. Going to pick up this weekend. She told me one of the hens have lost some feathers on her back and she's not sure why its like this. I'm assuming probably over-mating. Is this what it usually looks like if they've been over mated? I'm posting this in two forums, in case someone thinks it may be an injury or a sickness of some sort.. Thanks in advance

[​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Yes that is rooster wearing.

1 person likes this.
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree it looks like damage from mating.

It may not be the rooster's fault, though. Some hens simply have more brittle feathers, and even with a rooster that's perfectly appropriate they have feathers break off.

1 person likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Probably mostly rooster wear...and brittle feathers....but I'd check her for bugs too.
    It's a pretty clean spot....so may have been some pecking going on too.
    Did the seller tell you how long it's been like that and how old the bird is??
    Not sure I'd buy that bird.....depends on your goals.

5. MysteryChik

she just said "right now one of them has a bald spot. Its just one of them though". And then said that "It just recently happened. She seems fine and the other hens don't have it". She got the three hens,and rooster as chicks last year.

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yes, from breeding.......Normal.....They will grow back after she molts....... Cheers!

2 people like this.
  7. ChirpnBern

ChirpnBern Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2013
    Like a friend of mine remarked when looking at one of my hens that had rooster wear, "Oh, she`s a favorite."[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I probably wouldn't have a problem buying her. I'd check her over well for mites, etc. But it does look like mating damage. It's usually far more distressing to the humans than to the hen, in my experience.

If you have an area to separate her, you can try that and see if she regrows feathers. You can also look into a hen saddle, to protect that area for a while. A good, higher protein feed will help also.

1 person likes this.
  9. MysteryChik

Never knew what a hen saddle was until I read this comment and googled it. Really great idea. Is the "hen saver" the best choice? Have an;y of you had to buy them and if so, what brand, etc?

10. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I get some favorite hens who end up bare backed from a rooster. I have never seen any other damage beyond missing feathers and I personally wouldn't use a hen saddle unless the skin was being damaged due to hen saddles coming with their own troubles.

Mites and lice can get out of control under them because hens can't properly dust bath with them on. They also can be too hot during the summer and can chafe and be irritating to the bird. They do require regular checking to make sure there's not problem going on underneath them.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by