Do you think this is a Rooster??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Barred Babies, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I have 15 Barred Rock pullets that will be 17 weeks this Friday!! I just moved them in the coop with my other 4 last night! I haven't really had a good look at them in the daytime in a while. I just noticed that one is alot lighter than the others and his feet are not as dark but his comb is about the same size as the other!!

Here's a few pics!!

Thanks
    Missi

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please excuse the blood on the roost!!Something happened to my Roos foot yesterday and we sprayed the blue stuff on it!! [​IMG]

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Pullet. Not seeing any stringy hackle or saddle feathers and a roo at this age would show a real difference in comb and wattle developement from the hens. [​IMG]

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    pullet

4. kdcrws

kdcrws Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    deff girls

5. Barred Babies

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Thanks I was pretty sure but I couldn't believe how light that one is. Not as noticable in the pic but I can spot that one out everytime becuase it's so much lighter!! That's a pretty good record!! Bought 15 - 2 week old pullets and they all were!! [​IMG]

Thanks again!
    Missi

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2009
  6. Freeze

Freeze New Egg

Oct 17, 2009
    Girly for sure. I've been through 3 BR roosters (sent them back to the farm and got hen replacements) in my small flock. The roos are much lighter than what you have there, and the saddle and tail feathers are longer and decoratively droopy. My three roos had visible spur growths about like pencil eraser, not yet sharp, and very large, very red combs/wattles. I finally managed to get BR hens: they look exactly like that pic (and they are laying!).

7. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    I agree, girl! The males are a whole lot lighter than the girls and yes she would have much longer, pointed hackle and saddle feathers by now if she weren't a she. A couple of my BR girls vary in itensity too, like yours.

8. Barred Babies

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:Woo Hoo I can't wait till all of mine start laying!! [​IMG]

I was pretty sure she was a she but just wanted to get some 2nd opinions!! [​IMG]

Missi

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2009
  9. Freeze

Freeze New Egg

Oct 17, 2009
    Here is a pic of one of my sneaky roos at about 17 weeks (the other is beside him). Note how the feathers on his sides and tail are longer and droopy. No spurs yet visible here. He got lighter over the few weeks I had him. The roos also seemed to stand taller -- more upright -- than the hens. My girls are darker and their feathers are all "normal," not fancy.

Sorry so dark. Pic was taken at dusk on the day I got my chickens.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  10. Barred Babies

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Thanks for posting the pic!! Yeah I know I looked at tons of pictures and I know usually by 6-8 weeks in BR's you should be able to tell the difference but ya know I just had to ask!! [​IMG]

Thanks
    Missi

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by