1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

do you think this might be a drake?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ozark Girl, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Ozark Girl

Ozark Girl Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    I purchased some rouen duckings in March 25th ( a few days old) and they looked exactly the same. The older swedish drake I have I thought has has had his way with 1 one them, the other he cant catch..... but here is my question......In the last 2 weeks I noticed the larger of the 2 has gotten gray feathers on the lower half and a green head....if I am not wrong does this not indicate a drake? I am really confused because the one I thought was a female was because the swedish has had his way with him/her? I also checked for a white ring and there is a small one around the neck....if this is a drake what was that other drake doing to my poor little boy/girl ????

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    The fastest and most reliable way to tell, is to check the voice. If your little one is quacking loudly and deeply, you've got a girl. A hoarse, raspy, quieter quack or peep is a boy. Plumage can be deceptive, but the voice never (that I know of) lies.

If it is a boy, then your drake was simply displaying dominance. Many behaviors we think of as sexual among ducks (and other creatures, to be precise) can actually represent a wide range of meanings. Mounting another duck can be for mating or to show who's in charge.

Hope you've got a girl, but if not, at least you'll know. [​IMG]

3. Ozark Girl

Ozark Girl Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Thanks for the reply, I guess I will have to try to catch it, because when they come up to the house I have 1 adult female swedish 1 adult drake swedish, 2 hopefully female blue swedish,(also purchased in march) and the 2 rouens, I cant tell what quack comes out of who....lol I could try to take a pic tonight if you think that might be helpful...Thanks again

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Pics are always helpful! [​IMG] I don't have rouens so I am not the expert on their gender-related coloration. However, all mallard-derivative drakes (such as rouens) will often display a curly tail feather among the boys. Again, less reliable than the voice, but if you have a curly feather at the top of the tail, it is most likely a boy. If not, it could still be a boy who is molting, has had it pulled out (often occurs with the less-dominant drake), or just hasn't developed it yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by