Do you think this pullet is a roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CrockpotsMama, Apr 5, 2011.

1. CrockpotsMama

CrockpotsMama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    [​IMG]

Do you think this "pullet" is actually a roo? Comparing it to the other 4, its comb is longer, thicker and taller and its tail is shorter downward as the others are long and up. It appears to be more shy than the others also, they never bother it and it just goes with the flow. I would like to know as early as possible. I do not need or want another rooster, so the sooner we find out, the better. It's bad enough the kids have already named it "nugget". Thank you for your time!

2. laircy

laircy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    California
    Looks like a red sex link, and the red ones are always girls.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The white one, staring at us in your photo's lower right? Now, that's another story. [​IMG]

4. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    She looks like a red sex link pullet to me. Very pretty girl, she remnds me of my Chickie Poo when she was a baby [​IMG]

5. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Fred's Hens :

The white one, staring at us in your photo's lower right? Now, that's another story. [​IMG]

I was thinking the same thing [​IMG]

6. CrockpotsMama

Mar 13, 2011
    OH NO! Are you trying to tell me something in a nice way?

That's so funny, its the one that keeps trying to escape and run around with my rooster.

7. CrockpotsMama

Mar 13, 2011
    Quote:I thought they were supposed to be RIR. I guess I need to read up on red sexlinks. Are they social or flighty? Are they good layers? WIll they mix well with a variety of other breeds?

8. laircy

laircy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    California
    Quote:I thought they were supposed to be RIR. I guess I need to read up on red sexlinks. Are they social or flighty? Are they good layers? WIll they mix well with a variety of other breeds?

Funny thing, I also used to think my RSL was a RIR. That was until I joined here! Mine's pretty friendly and gets along very well with my other hens. She's a good layer but she's a few years old so it has slowed down a little.

9. CrockpotsMama

Mar 13, 2011
    OK, thank you so much! Gonna get to reading.[​IMG]

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm another vote for sex-link hen. You'll love her! They're usually docile, great layers, don't eat a ton. I've been thrilled with mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by