Do You Think This Silkie Chick Has A Frizzle Gene or Is He Just Odd??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PamB, Jan 15, 2011.

1. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    I hatched this adorable little silkie baby on New Years Eve. I posted on the injury board because I was wondering what was up with his/her wings. A couple people suggested the chick could have some frizzle genes. Any thoughts? He/she seems healthy but was born with curled toes, which I fixed with little shoes, he/she is still a bit clumsy but I think that just makes me love this baby even more!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    ya.. its frizzle

3. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    It may not be. Give it a little time to grow. One of my lav silkies had wings that looked like that for a couple weeks, but they have straightened out now and look like they should.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Unlikely. Some chicks will have curled feathers for a while (months even) during their growth that have nothing to do with frizzling. I've had a Brahma from a hatchery that I thought was frizzled, but he was in fact just having hard times growing his feathers properly.

5. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Thanks for the responses. Hopefully, s/he will just grow out of it. If not, I guess that is okay too as long as it doesn't bother the chick, it doesn't bother me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by