Do you trim your chickens wings?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chicken Fruit, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    We always did growing up, and I usually will trim just one wing a bit starting at about 2 weeks of age (when they start to fly into the brooder light and hurt themselves).

I was just wondering how many other people trim wings.

I dont trim my cochins or my roosters though. The cochins are so clumsy and feathery i feel they need the wings to help themselves along if running from trouble, and my roosters LOOK for trouble to protect their hens so I let them keep theirs- since they wont readily fly away from their girls anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2009
  2. Tweeza

Tweeza Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    New England
    I clip one wing. I don't want them to fly over the fence. My thoughts were, if I clipped them from the start and they never get a taste of the other side they'll never go there. My girls were near 20 weeks when they started free-ranging and that's when they were clipped. So far, so good.

3. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

Nope

4. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    I have in the past, and something got them. So now I rather let them be able to fly up a tree, even if it means that they can also fly over the fence.

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    We're in the middle of town with a 4' chainlink around the 8000 sq ft yard- and one more 4' chainlink dumps into the alley, the neighbors who breed & beat pit bulls, a yard with no other fence (=busy street) or a yard with 3 other dogs.

None of those options keeps my babies safe, so I forbid them that choice. Trimmed wings it is!!

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i havent..but it may be a good idea to clip the babies wings so they cant fly into the brooder light.(i think imay start doing this)...but when they are outside i would never clip them..its the only way they can get away from danger....

7. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I've chosen not to clip the wings. So far, I've only had one fly over the fence. They got out once (I think a household member left a gate open) and my retriever decided to retrieve one. Now, when they see him out, they are pretty happy to stay in their own area. We provide a fairly large fenced area for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by