1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do you trust other people to watch your flock while you're away?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenkate, Mar 27, 2009.

1. chickenkate

chickenkate Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2009
    East coast
    I'm just wondering, b'cause spring break is comin' soon, and I want my flock to be okay, but I DON'T want be tied down completely.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Nope.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Only my sister and then I still worry about them while I'm gone.

4. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Sure, but the folks I have watch my stuff though have took care of stock all there lives so they know what there doin. As far as a city folk or somethin... Not unless they've worked for me for a while so they know exactly what to do in case of emergency. Last thing I need is to lose one of my ranch horses or somethin.

5. retiredwithchicks

retiredwithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Byrdstown, TN
    Yes, there is an 12 year old boy across the street and he loves chickens more than me. He has had chickens all his life and keeps a watch on my flock all the time. He comes over while waiting for the school bus each morning and checks on them. I left him in charge last year on vacation and a dog got in the pen and killed two. He was devastated. It wasn't his fault and took some convincing for him to accept that. I have let him care for them several times and wouldn't care to leave him with them at any time. Just find family or friends that love chickens.

6. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    My neighbor and I swap caring for our animals when we have to travel. Our system works fine. She has goats, rabbits and poultry and I have swine and poultry.

7. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Yes, our homesteading neighbor who also has chickens, horses, cats, etc. He does a wonderful job!

I'd also trust another neighbor who raises cattle like we do and has owned chickens in the past. He sometimes rents pasture from us. I'm certain he'd do a great job - or send one of his helpers to do a great job.

You just have to find someone you can trust. Do a one day trip first and 'test' your chicken sitter. [​IMG]

8. jonesgirl

jonesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Nevada
    We usually let my BIL have our house when we leave so that the garden gets watered, and the animals get fed...

ALWAYS when we get back, there are dead flowers and the animals are R E A L L Y happy to see us...

my answer is no, but he's the only one who will attempt it![​IMG]

9. Gersbud

Gersbud Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Central Michigan
    [​IMG]
    Yes I do. My neighbor takes care of my flock of girls while I am away. She loves my girls just as much as I do if not more. I think that she stresses over watching them then I do letting her watch the girls. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by