Do you use antibiotics?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Dwen, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Dwen

Dwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Concord, NC
    Several of my 8 wk old Cornish Cross are coming down with respiratory problems, and as I have duramycen 10 on hand, I am debating treating them since I won't be processing for another 2-3 weeks. What would you do?

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Duramycin doesn't do much, but you can try it. You'd probably have to use something more powerful and not sure if you could eat the chickens after that. If you're going to butcher them anyway, I would just go ahead.

3. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Myself I wouldn't medicate and then eat them, the whole reason I raise my own food is so they don't have any additives in it. I would quarantine the birds with issues and find out what is causing it.

4. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Treatment of diseases and sickness is responsible livestock ownership. Treating without knowing the cause might not treat the problem correctly and make the animal sicker.

If the birds are sick from a bacterial infection then treatment with the proper antibiotic is appropriate. You also need to be aware of any withdrawal periods for the antibiotic you use before slaughtering the animals for food.

Simply quarantining the bird and not treating a disease is irresponsible livestock management.

5. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Do quarantine them, though, til you decide what to do. If you are going to use Duramycin, you need to make it stronger than the directions say. It's 4 tsp per gallon, to be effective. But really you probably need Tylan or something geared more specifically for serious respiratory issues,

6. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    Quarantine them and cull them as soon as I can, and write it off as a loss. I don't medicate.

But that's just me.

7. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    And me also Buster, We use the "only the strong survive" method.

8. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    Yeah, if it's from a flock I am trying to maintain, I would quarantine and give them a chance to fight it off, depending on what it is. Then cull if they are just suffering. That improves the genetics of the flock with birds that overcome disease on their own, rather than through using an artificial crutch.

But with a CX or other terminal hybrid, I just cull immediately or soon thereafter. Better safe than sorry that way, since there is no point in improving the flock and I would be taking a chance of spreading whatever it is they have to the rest of the crop.

9. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Isolate, treat, cure, then slaughter.

10. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by