Do You Vaccinate Your Chickens against Coryza?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KatsChicks, Jan 24, 2014.

1. KatsChicks

KatsChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2014
    I'm going to order some Chicks soon and was wondering what to vaccinate them for. I was thinking to have them vaccinated against Mareks and Coccidiosis right away but does anybody have Experience with the Coryza Vaccine (which I would do once they are old enough)? Does it really prevent them from getting Coryza if they ever get exposed to Chickens that have it? I have dealt with this awful Disease before and surely don't ever want to again. What else should I vaccinate them for?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I don't think many people vaccinate for coryza unless they have infected flocks. If you have cleaned and disinfected your facilities, and it has been over a month or two, I think you are safe. Some vaccines have to be repeated yearly, but I would read up on some of them first. The vaccine that jefferspet online sells has to be given 3 times up to the point of laying. If you have neighbors who have chickens it might be worth it, but personally I would just not buy chickens except from a hatchery.

3. KatsChicks

Jan 15, 2014
    Thanks Eggcessive :) I think I'm going to get the Coryza Vaccine from Jeffers

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It really isn't necessary if you don't have any sick chickens left. But I have heard of some people saying their chickens got infected from their neighbor's chickens, so that can be a problem.

5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Is it a live vaccine?some vaccines actually give the birds a touch of the illness to build immunity. I'm not sure I would want to give a live virus unless absolutely necessary. I don't know much about the corzya vaccine weather or not it's live but that's something you might want to check into because some vaccines once vaccinated makes the birds carriers of the disease as well. Meaning they could infect un vaccinated birds.as I said I don't know if this is the case with the corzya vaccine but it's something to look into before you administer it. And then make your decision based on that information. You want to research any vaccine before you give it. Hope this helps.

6. KatsChicks

Jan 15, 2014
    A

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by