Do you vacinate chicks when growing for meat?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peckingcrew, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Peckingcrew

Peckingcrew New Egg

Aug 9, 2011
    I am ordering meat birds, and after reading posts, may change my order to a dual purpose breed. Do you need to vacinate the chicks?

2. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Hey - welcome to BYC!

I do not vaccinate my meat birds and I don't know many who do. I also do not feed my meat birds any sort of medicated feed. I did a search for you and found these threads in the meaties section:

To Vaccinate or Not

Vaccinations

Another Vaccinations Thread

Have you checked out all of the stickies at the top of the Meat Birds section of this forum? They're very helpful! I hope to see you posting over there! [​IMG]

Oh... I also wanted to add that there are meat alternatives to the CornishX. I am raising Red Broilers from Ideal. They are a slower growing bird, but still bred for meat. Freedom Rangers are another option as well....the list goes on.

DP birds are going to be lighter in weight unless you can get true heritage chickens from an independent breeder. Hatcheries aren't going to have them. You'll end up spending more money in the long run if you go DP for meat. There are several topics on this in the meat section as well!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by