do you wash hatching eggs if they have poop on them

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by waw, Dec 7, 2011.

1. waw

waw Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2011
    Mississippi
    or do you just not hatch them [​IMG]

2. sassysilkies

sassysilkies Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    NW Pennsylvania
    try to scrape what you can off, but if they are really bad, I just pitch them. [​IMG]

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    No I don't wash them unless they are really dirty. I have washed off really poopy eggs and put them in the incubator and they hatched just fine.

4. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Dirty eggs are at higher risk of blood rings -

I personally avoid them, but some people scrape off what they can and incubate them with no problem.
    Washing the eggs washes off the protective coating, and makes it easier for bacteria and disease to
    enter the egg, however everybody has their own opinions about washing - I don't do it.

Edited to add in information

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  5. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

they sale egg wash at tractor supply. soo it cant be bad to wash them. i rinse mine in warm water before i put them in the bator

6. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    I spray them with Oxine AH and dab the bad spots. My birds eggs are rarely dirty enough to clean, but other eggs I have gotten did need cleaning. Oxine will kill most of the germs that can cause a bad hatch.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I use Oxine too. It is great stuff.

8. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I wash all my hatching eggs, visibly dirty or not, in a hot dilute bleach solution before rinsing them off under hot running water. I get a better hatch rate when I wash them all. It also seems to help keep them viable for longer when storing eggs for any length of time. I've washed eggs then stored them for upwards of 3 weeks and still got a pretty good hatch rate from them. I know some people cite the 'protective bloom' as a reason not to wash eggs, but every single commercial hatchery washes their eggs and they wouldn't be doing it if it didn't work...

9. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I purchased some bantam polish eggs off of Ebay and they came with washing instructions and were really dirty. I have never washed eggs before but I had never received eggs quite this dirty before so I followed the instructions but instead of using bleach water for the final rinse I used Oxine and they are incubating pretty good so far [​IMG] but it is only day 5 for them so it is still to early to tell. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by