Do you wash or sanitize your eggs before selling?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tinkarooni, Jan 18, 2009.

1. tinkarooni

tinkarooni Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2008
    Pittsburgh
    I just started last spring so by the fall I had way too many eggs to handle. I started selling to a couple of friends and than got a few customers from word of mouth. I supply four steady people every week which is great for me, I have 13 layers.

So far I don't wash them and I print labels with the FDA warning and I also tell them to wash the eggs before use.

What do you do?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I don't wash mine unless they have poop or something else on it, and then I only wash that spot. The bloom helps keep bacteria out, so I leave it be.

3. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I don't sell but I do give them to my wonderful neighbors. Like Debi, I don't wash either. I tell the recipient to wash before using.

4. tinkarooni

Sep 29, 2008
    Pittsburgh
    Quote:That's what I do too. So what are all the fancy schmancy egg washers, egg sanitizers etc etc that I see in catalogs. I just use dish soap and hot water just before I use them and tell people who buy them to do the same. Is this adequate?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  5. ScoobyRoo

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Must be. We are still alive and no serious sickness.

6. tinkarooni

Sep 29, 2008
    Pittsburgh
    Henry'schickens :

Must be. We are still alive and no serious sickness.

Well, except for this whole chicken obsession thing...[​IMG]

Thanks.​

7. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    We dont sell our eggs, but we do wash them with warm soapy water when we bring them in. Doing it for years and everyone is still doing great.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2009
  8. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    Ok, why do you wash a clean egg before using? I've never washed a storebought egg.

I've raised my own eggs or bought fresh eggs throughout my life and never washed them either, unless they had poop/dirt on them.

I sell eggs locally. Never wash unless necessary. Note my name/address and date of collection on egg carton.

9. ScoobyRoo

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Store bought eggs are already washed so it is not needed. I wash the dirt and poop if any, before I use it.

10. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    I dont wash the eggs before going in the carton.I do print on the carton WASH B4 USING .Any eggs that are really really dirty I toss to the dogs or scramble them up again for the chickens .If there a little dirty I just wipe with a dry paper towel and place in the carton for our home use...
    Forgot to mention that I date each egg with a pencil so i know which eggs to use up first..

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by