Do you wash your eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickendude, Oct 21, 2009.

1. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Just curious to see who washes their eggs before you refrigerate them. I don't want to wash them but some have a little poo on them so I rinse them.

2. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    No! My eggs have always come out clean in addition to that I have read that The eggs have a natural enzyme coating on them that protects them from bacteria in the air. In addition to that I do not refridgerate my eggs, I have found no need to!

3. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Once you rinse/wash you have to refrigerate them.

4. chickendude

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Yes they do have a bloom to protect the egg from bacteria. And mine usually do come out clean but I got one today that was soiled with a little poo. I just wiped it clean with a damp paper towel. chickenshagg how long do you keep your eggs un-refrigerated?

5. chickendude

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Quote:Is that because the protective bloom is removed?

6. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    Mostly I do not wash- but if there is a little something on them (rare but it happens)- I "spot" clean them with the corner of a damp clean paper towel - then dry the spot with a dry corner- then put in the fridge [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  7. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Quote:I do this too
    Sometimes there is feed spilled in the coop and it gets on the egg. I spot clean too
    [​IMG]

8. eekgads

eekgads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Central VA
    I spot clean also!

Has anyone heard of "disinfecting eggs" before shipping them? Isn't that harmful? I saw that & it raised my eyebrows. [​IMG]

9. blurose

blurose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Winston, Oregon
    Unfortunately, I still have a couple of hens thinking they need to lay their eggs in the corner of the henhouse, right under the roost, which leads to eggs with blops of poo on them. At these times, I use my "egg brush" under running warm water until the egg is clean, dry it and refrigerate. I otherwise don't rush my eggs into the fridge unless they are fertile eggs. Do your best to keep the run from getting too muddy or give them plenty of opportunity to wipe their feet before getting to the nestbox . Muddy chicken feet is my biggest dirty-egg problem usually.

10. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    yes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by