Do you weight your birds before butchering?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by downeastthunderfarm, Jul 31, 2011.

1. downeastthunderfarm

downeastthunderfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Maine
    I've read that some folks weigh their birds before butchering to determine if they're a good weight to proceed with the butchering. This may be a silly question...

How do you weigh the live bird?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

2. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Put it on a scale and weigh it. If it won't sit still, hypnotize it first and then do it. or get a small cage or a box, tare the box on the scale, put the chicken inside an weigh it. If your scale doesn't tare, then weigh the box, weigh the chicken in the box, and the difference is the weight of your chicken. Easy peasy!

But personally I don't normally do any of this... Unless you need it for record keeping on breeding or are selling birds by live weight I don't much see the point... Although I admit I occasionally do it just out of curiosity.

Good luck!

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    If you have a good, fairly accurate scale to weigh yourself, it might be just as easy to weigh yourself with and without the bird in your arms, and just subtract your weight from the total to get the weight of the bird.

4. peteyfoozer

peteyfoozer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    SE Oregon
    I'm SURE my scale is weighing heavy because I forgot to put my chickens down! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by