1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do you worm chickens & peafowl?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by trovito, Mar 22, 2015.

1. trovito

trovito New Egg

Mar 20, 2015
    Hello there. I have heard from a couple people now that they have wormed their poultry? I have never done this to our flock growing up. I am starting my flock as an adult and have just now heard about this. It makes since as I do it to my other animals (dogs, cats, equine).

Please let me know your opinions...
    Is worming necessary?
    If so how often?
    What do you use?
    What is the active ingredient?

Thanks in advance.

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Yes worming chickens is very important. Just like dogs or cats chickens get tapeworms, flukes, gapeworms, and other worms. If you suspect that your chickens has worms than it's probably best to worm them but by all means I don't think it's necessary but it helps because honestly I rarely do it and my birds are okay. You normally only have to do it twice a year one in the fall and one in the spring. I used ivermectim but there are other ones you can use and naturopathic ways you can do it too.

You can probably learn more from this link too:
    http://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/worming-chickens

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Some people never worm.
    Some people worm on schedule.
    Some people take fecal samples to a vet and worm as necessary.
    Some people only worm if they think their chickens need it.

I fall in the 4th group. I handle every one of my chickens each week (or so) and if I think I see/feel a problem developing, the first thing I do is worm my hens. I use Safeguard or Valbazen.

Wazine only kills round worms, Ivermectin doesn't work on chicken worms because of resistance. That is why I don't use them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by