1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do you worry about thier feet freezing?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by MsMelvin, Jan 15, 2011.

1. MsMelvin

MsMelvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    It's 8 degrees outside and the snow is about 6 inches deep. I let Lucy out and she sits down and pulls her feet in...

2. 4nematode

4nematode Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2010
    MD Eastern Shore
  3. MsMelvin

MsMelvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    Very interesting!

(Her coop floor has a fluffy layer of hay & shavings). I'm giving her back her freedom; thank you.

Guess I just worry too much about the critters that live here : )

4. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Jennifer (at the Carolina Waterfowl Rescue) explained it to me too. I had asked her this question. But it is hard to really understand without the visual. Thanks for that website, that explained it and made it easy to understand. I too had worried.

5. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Usually snow is warmer than air, have you seen them swim on water with a skim of ice on it? the water is right at 32F

6. chocolate m'scovy

chocolate m'scovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    LOL! I saw my muscovies in the snow yesterday, and they didn't look frozen! They perform this funny "dance" ritual- they stick out their foot, shake it vigorously, then tuck it up inside their body somewhere. [​IMG] Don't forget they have all that down for a reason. They can sit on the snow and they're protected by their cushiony feathery jackets. [​IMG] If you're still concerned you can give them straw.

7. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Mine love the water even at 29 degrees, they swim in our ponds but prefer these tubs i provide for them.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by