Do young female muscovies have a MOHAWK???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kitkatbahr, Jul 18, 2010.

1. kitkatbahr

kitkatbahr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Merritt Island, FL
    Hi all,

I have two young muscovies that my hen hatched approx. 9 weeks old. I thought I had one male and one female, cause one is almost twice the size of the other and has larger feet, more body mass, etc. BUT...the little one has a nice looking mohawk when startled or when I try to catch her. So, my question is, do female muscovies have mohawks too? Or, do I have a big male and a smaller male? It was a definite mohawk, just like my grown drakes do. I am worried I have two young drakes instead of one of each.

I tried searching and there was some mention of mohawks on drakes, but nothing that specifically said females don't have them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    Kathy

2. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    they do have mohawks, but they aren't as large as the males. they put them up when they are mad or when they are scared or alarmed. my hen puts hers up when she's really mad and wants people away from her (she's broody)

3. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    oh, so you would have to scare her or make her mad to see the mohawk.
    i would love to see the mohawk, but not if you have to scare her.
    [​IMG]

beth

4. neverbdone

neverbdone Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Lake Isabella, CA
    My female Muscovy when she is riled definately shows a mohawk. Of course, I swear when she is upset she also shows fangs. [​IMG]

5. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    So how do you sex Muscovies? 2 of mine show mohawks, but one doesn't. They are all quiet.

6. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    Of course, I swear when she is upset she also shows fangs

[​IMG]

Now, that would be another good pic!
    Fanged Scovy!
    And the start of a new horror trend.
    hehehehehe​

7. kitkatbahr

kitkatbahr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Merritt Island, FL
    Wow, thanks for all the quick replies. I appreciate it. I only have had one female muscovy (but several drakes) and she is so very tame that I have never seen her with a mohawk. She is broody again now and lets me pet her all the time! LOL No fangs for Cocoa! LOL

Ok, then I probably do still have a young drake and a hen. Glad to have another hen though. Not sure what I will do with the little drake as I have so many drakes already. He is awfully cute right now, but I know he will grow up to be a feathered bag of hormones before too long! I guess he will go in the bachelor pen with the other big drakes once he is old enough.

Thanks!

Kathy

8. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    Quote:you are lucky mine is a monster when she's broody. she comes stampeeding after me like get the heck out of here or i will bite your ankles!!!! LOL. with her loud peeps.

when i chase my young hen she puts her mohawk up LOL. i usually only chase her to put her away LOL

9. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    lol my hen has a mohawk, she puts it up when we walks past, and when discovers who it is, will (actually [​IMG] ) come running up. always makes me smile
    she loves attention

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by