1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

do young roosters crow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by karlamaria, May 25, 2011.

1. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I have a rhode island red about 11weeks old, he/she seems to tend the flock at times,watch, move with the girls and tends to fluff up and peck once in a while, but... If it's a roo he has never crowed. When do they start this?

2. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    My first roo didn't crow until after he was five months old. (so, maybe around 20-24 weeks old?)

3. Kristopher

Kristopher Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    Phoenix
  4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Depends on the roo and somewhat on his enviroment.

One of my adult roos didn't start really crowing until after I re-homed his more dominant brother, roughly 15 months old. My other adult roo started crowing at TWO weeks olds.

Now I have three young cockerels, they'll be 4 months old on Saturday. Two of them, not a peep yet. One started crowing when he got overly attached to me and didn't like me to be out of his sight. He would crow whenever I went in the house. Once he figured out I wasn't a hen to be courted, he stopped.

5. TeriyakiChicken

TeriyakiChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Australia
    mine started at about 18-20 weeks

depends on the breed and environment though [​IMG]

Good Luck!

6. MTopPA_18707

MTopPA_18707 Chillin' With My Peeps

My Black Australorps started crowing at 8.5 weeks of age.

Kevin

7. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    Bantam Serama, Little Man, started at 8 weeks or so and The Fuzz just this morning at 14 weeks! It'll happen pretty soon I'd think and it sure sounds pitifully cute!

8. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I sure hope my baby is not a boy, we live in the city [​IMG] this will make my kids extremely sad . we had purchased insured female birds, but Im thinking an astrolorp is also male. She is the same age as al the other birds, but has waddles and a different color comb. ugh, I hope not, this will make my kids so sad. as we will have to give them to someone.

9. christina1982

christina1982 Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    That was the cutest video ever!

10. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    Quote:That's the best! I wish I could get my little guy on video. He's so tiny and only 14 weeks, but he sure thinks he's the man.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by