1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do your 8-week-old chicks do this?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bawkbawkbawk, Aug 9, 2011.

1. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

2. chicken-whisperer

chicken-whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Vista San Diego County
    Loved you pictures. I have a little white Silkie broody hen that hatches my Black Copper Marans eggs and the chicks want to get under her when they are bigger than she is. [​IMG]

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Hilarious!

My silly EE cockerel was NOT raised by a broody but he was raised with a few pullets that were two weeks older. He chose the largest one and started trying to get under her. I was still seeing this behavior from him at 12 weeks even though he was pretty much the same size as they were by then! [​IMG]

4. tiny529

tiny529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    *laugh* That is too funny! One of my EE's seems to instinctively miss being under a Momma, even though she's never been. Even tonight, she kept trying to push her head under her same aged (all 7 weeks) flock-mates. This particular EE also likes to burrow in my hair, which I haven't let her do at all since she moved out to the coop.

5. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Tiny - my Belgian Mille Fleur D'Uccle chick was trying to get under the Black Copper Marans tonight - same thing!

Here was tonight's ultimate line-up: my BO is rueing the day she went broody!

[​IMG]

6. SilkieSerenade

SilkieSerenade Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2011
    One of my full grown EE hens still tries to get underneath my darling little Silkie at night. Even though she's twice the poor things size. [​IMG]

7. shepan2

shepan2 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2008
    Soooo cute!

8. Prisserbabe

Prisserbabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    The chicken coop
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  9. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:Yes I have 9 week old silkie chicks that still sleep under and ontop of Momma silkie. [​IMG]

10. bogwitch

bogwitch Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    South Central Wisconsin
    That is the cutest, funniest thing I have seen in awhile. I have children but I am not super maternal, so I can relate to poor Hope.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by