Do your bantams do pellets?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by save the favs, Nov 22, 2009.

1. save the favs

save the favs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Have had my Faverolles Banties on organic crumbles since hatching & have thought about trying some organic pellets also. Does anyone out there have bantams that eat pelleted chicken feed well? Always figured the pellets were just too big for them.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  2. amyparrotflock

amyparrotflock Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    my bantam black cochins are on the purina pellets. picked some up from TSC not to long ago, and they were on crumbles before that. They like to throw them around a bit sometimes- the longer ones- but they eat most everything.

what kind of amazon do you have? (there's a mealy, dyh, bfa, and liliac crowned here)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    None of my bantams have any problems with the pellets, including oegb and Japanese.

4. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

the first couple of days mine weren't eating much..
    so I started giving them the bottom of the daily bucket which tended to have a few more broken up pieces by the time I scooped out food to everyone else.. the smaller pieces were easier for them at 6 weeks and within a week they got the hang of it and have great success now with full size pellets.

I remember when I posted a similar question... [​IMG]

5. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Yes all my bantams are on layer pellets and they also swallow whole corn, that's what all my chickens get unless they are still young.

catdaddy

6. save the favs

save the favs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Thank you all for sharing your experience with pellets for Bantams. I started this flock from eggs & chicks, now they are beginning to lay. Guess it's time to let them grow up & move on from "baby food." Will offer pellets soon in my second hanging feeder.

armyparrotflock, you are a well rounded "bird lover." We raised & breed all kinds of parrots in the 1980's, now it's just the Blue Front Amazon pet. Interestingly he stopped talking years ago (had a 150 word vocabulary with songs also) & became vicious when we added a cage buddy (another amazon), it was love at first sight & became all about her. Every once in a while I hear him low talking or humming a tune; he's beautiful & named Rooster.

Jenjscottee, how'd you talk that chicken into jewlery. Great, unique picture!

DawnSuiter, thanks for the corn mention also. Will have to put the cracked/chunked corn out also. I've been only feeding it soaked in the morning along with their kefir/yogurt. Very pampered chickies.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by