Do your banties rule the roost?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JennsPeeps, Jul 1, 2008.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    We have a new banty who just joined our flock. She's 9 weeks old & the 3 others are 5. She seems to keep them in line pretty well. She doesn't lead them around the yard - she keeps up the rear all the time.

Do those of you who have mixed flocks (banties + medium-sized birds) find that the banties are not-so-large & in charge? Is this an age or a demeanor thing?

Personally I'd love to see her be in charge - she's sweet, stays really close, and seems to "teach" the younger birds things.

2. MrsChickendad

MrsChickendad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    We have 10 cochin bantam pullets (16 weeks) in with 8 ( 13 weeks) regular sized pullets (4 ISA Browns, 2 black sex-links and 2 Buff Orpingtons). The lowest banty is higher than the highest "big bird". The BOs are way on the bottom of the pecking order. I hand feed them all grapes and watermelon to tame them. The banties wade right in and eat while you hold the fruit, the big birds snatch it and run. I love to watch those little drumsticks pumping when they run!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by