Do your birds drink less water in winter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Schwartzfarmnc, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Have you noticed if your birds drink a lot less in winter and while they are molting? Yes or No?
    Our 13 would drink about a gallon per day up until the cold set in and over the last month it's like 1 quart to .5 gallon on a good day.

2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Yes

3. ck-newbe

ck-newbe Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Boone, NC
    Quote:I too have noticed that my girls drink less water in the winter. Maybe because it is not as warm outside or possibly because they are laying less? By the way, Hi! from Fleetwood (that is if you are from W Jefferson NC [​IMG] )

4. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Yes they drink a lot less. Which is nice because I pack fresh water every night to the coops. In the summer I use kiddie pools and its way less work to give them fresh water.

5. clucksbc

clucksbc Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2011
    ;)hummh...
    i think mine are going through more water...
    Unless my hubby had a major spill putting the water pail back I don't know about...
    It was just saturday I filled it...and it had to be done again today...usually don't have to change it again
    till closer to a week
    also...I did get a heated water dish but have taken it out unless we get insane temperatures...
    that was emptying every day...
    incidently this is for 8 chickens..

6. humpbacks1962

humpbacks1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2007
    Middletown, CT
    I do not notice a difference with mine.
    However, I give them table scraps including fresh fruits and veggies and that does hold a lot of humidity inside. So if they mostly feed on dry food, they'll be more thirsty than those who feed on grass, greens and other items holding moisture

7. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Quote:I too have noticed that my girls drink less water in the winter. Maybe because it is not as warm outside or possibly because they are laying less? By the way, Hi! from Fleetwood (that is if you are from W Jefferson NC [​IMG] )

[​IMG]
    Yes, I live in West Jefferson just down the road from you!!!
    How many birds do you have? We have 13 and many are going through their first molt so not many eggs these days.

I do see a drop in water usage, I wonder if they drink much at all but I guess they are getting what they need.

8. flockof4

flockof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2010
    Webster Groves, MO
    A little bit less in the winter.

9. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Mine are drinking a lot less now than they did in August! [​IMG] If you think about it, eggs contain a lot of water. Not making eggs would mean they'd need less water. And, of course, cooler weather reduces need.

10. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Yes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by