1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do your chickens come in the house?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fluffhead, Apr 15, 2008.

1. fluffhead

fluffhead Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2007
    Berkeley, CA
    My friendly Ameraucana likes to come to the kitchen door, which is usually open, to beg for food. Apparently I didn't notice her quickly enough today, because she snuck up behind me in the living room and went "BUK BUK!" I jumped out of my chair.

I think it's great, as long as she doesn't poop on my rugs. [​IMG]

edited for spelling

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  2. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    If I leave my door open accidentally, my chickens will DEFINITELY walk right in and start exploring. But watch out, they WILL poop indoors. Mine have the run of the outside and my porch anyways, so I don't let them come inside. Mine usually make soft little curious clucks when they're inside because they're checking out a new (potentially promising in their minds) place. The image of the BOK BOK scaring out of your chair is hilarious!

3. mirandamommy

mirandamommy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2008
    Central California
    [​IMG] That's funny! I'm constantly reminding my DS to shut the back door!

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

5. Ace_king_brahma

Ace_king_brahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    LOL I've heard from a friend that their chickens learned how to use the doggy door once when they were out and had a little hen party inside.

6. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    Mine try getting in every time the door opens. My DH is waiting for them to figure out the dog door. I want that mat. Does anyone remember it? Something about closing the door so the chickens don't get in.

7. Ace_king_brahma

Mar 14, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    I think they sell a blocker that slips into the notches on the doggy door to keep unwanted animals out.

8. tataharris

tataharris Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2007
    Calvin, Oklahoma
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    This is soooo funny.... Just this week my mixed breed hen, Opie has found her way into our house about 4 times. [​IMG] My kids have found her under my DDs' bed and in the kitchen.... I guess she really feels like part of the family....
    [​IMG]

9. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I don't let mine free range anymore (hawks) but when I did, they would stand and peck at the slider! [​IMG]

10. Ace_king_brahma

Mar 14, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    I don't free range mine anymore either, my prob is the neighbors....they have let their dog population grow out of hand! And my birds were on the menu! When they were free roaming they would try to get inside and succeed as far as the dining room before we scooted them out. Soon as the door was open BAM it was liek they were waiting on the porch for it! They would hop into the dog food and cat food bags most of the time which made round up easy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by